Bristol and its surrounding area offers a variety of public and private universities along with smaller community colleges. Through helpful information from the National Center for Education Statistics, prospective students can determine which schools best suit their needs by considering proximity, student population, net price, and graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Bristol, Tennessee
Both 2-year and 4-year institutions may be found in Bristol, Tennessee. If you wish to study within a 20-mile distance then you may refer to the list below that includes schools which offer programs ranging from certificate courses to graduate level degrees.
- King University (within the city)
- Northeast State Community College (10.1 miles)
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Elizabethton (15.8 miles)
- ITT Technical Institute-Johnson City (19.0 miles)
- East Tennessee State University (19.3 miles)
Largest Schools Near Bristol, Tennessee
Two of the largest schools located in Bristol Tennessee are both public schools. Majority of the other institutions with the largest student population are public and private not-for-profit schools.
- East Tennessee State University (14,434 students: 11,550 students)
- Northeast State Community College (5,865 students: all undergraduate)
- King University (2,897 students: 2,427 undergraduates)
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Elizabethton (477 students: all undergraduate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Johnson City (121 students: all undergraduate)
Lowest Net Price
The following net price statistics are computed by the NCES by determining the total cost for the average full-time undergraduate student to attend a given college or university and then deducting the average amount of financial aid each student received from that total. Net prices for Bristol-area schools ranged from about $7,000 up to about $24,000. The schools with the lowest net prices for the 2014-2015 school year are as follows.
- Northeast State Community College ($6,401)
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Elizabethton ($10,517)
- East Tennessee State University ($14,646)
- King University ($18,504)
- Milligan College ($19,460)
Highest Graduation Rate
NCES also calculates the graduation rate of numerous colleges and universities around the country by calculating the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who graduate from a program at a school within 150% of the 'normal time' it should take to complete that program. For four-year programs, for example, 150% of 'normal time' would be six years. In 2014, the Bristol area's top five schools in this category are as follows.
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Elizabethton (95%)
- Milligan College (63%)
- King University (45%)
- East Tennessee State University (43%)
- Northeast State Community College (20%)
Based on your educational needs and goals, you can choose from among several schools located in Bristol, Tennessee.