Brookings, SD, has limited options when it comes to postsecondary education. To help prospective students make the right choice, we explore the three available schools using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Brookings, South Dakota
The two closest schools to Brookings are 4-year institutions, while the next closest is a 2-year school. All three of the schools are public institutions.
- South Dakota State University (0.3 miles from downtown)
- Dakota State University (26 miles from downtown)
- Lake Area Technical Institute (44.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Brookings, South Dakota
Despite only having three schools, the Brookings area provides students with larger institutions to choose from; all three have more than 1,000 students, and the largest enrolls more than 10,000. The two largest schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- South Dakota State University (12,576 students)
- Dakota State University (3,145 students)
- Lake Area Technical Institute (1,846 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
By subtracting the average financial aid package from the estimate of the yearly total cost for full-time undergrad students paying in-state tuition, the NCES determines net price. The net price for schools in and close to Brookings ranges from about $11,000 to around $21,000 in 2014-2015, per the NCES.
- Lake Area Technical Institute ($10,928)
- Dakota State University ($13,953)
- South Dakota State University ($20,891)
Highest Graduation Rates
The graduation rates are based on the number of full-time undergraduate students who completed their educational programs within 150% of the normal time. For the two universities, this counts bachelor's degree-seeking students who graduated in six years, while for the technical college, this includes associate's degree-seeking students who graduated in three years. The highest graduation rate for a Brookings-area school was 79% for 2015.
- Lake Area Technical Institute (79% graduation rate)
- South Dakota State University (54% graduation rate)
- Dakota State University (38% graduation rate)
The Brookings, SD, area offers some variation in location, size, price, and graduation rates to students between the three traditional institutions available.