Broward County is the second most populous county in the state of Florida, encompassing at least four postsecondary colleges. Learn about some of the features of these schools, like closeness to large cities, student populations, net costs, and graduation rates provided by the National Center for Education Statistics, to make a decision on your education.
Schools in Broward County Near Large Cities
Having the ability to travel back and forth between college and a large city is appealing for many reasons. Unfortunately, the NCES does not list any colleges within the Broward County area that are in or near what qualifies as a large city. There are several schools located within midsized and small cities, however, such as:
- Keiser University - Fort Lauderdale (Fort Lauderdale)
- Everest University - Pompano Beach (Pompano Beach)
- City College - Fort Lauderdale (Fort Lauderdale)
- Nova Southeastern College (Fort Lauderdale)
Largest Schools in Broward County
Many students prefer having a large campus population where they attend school for a number of reasons, like increased opportunities for socialization and more diversity among their peers. There are several schools in Broward County with fairly large populations. The NCES reports that these four are the largest general education colleges in the county.
- Broward College (44,119)
- Nova Southeastern University (24,148)
- Keiser University - Fort Lauderdale (19,110)
- Everest University - Pompano Beach (1,548)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) provides a wealth of information on the nation's colleges to help aspiring students weigh their options. One such statistic is the net price, which combines full-time undergraduate tuition, room, board, books and fees for a total cost of attendance, and then subtracts the average amount of financial aid awards given by the school for 2014-2015. The following schools were the most affordable of the four compared schools.
- Broward College ($8,622)
- Everest University - Pompano Beach ($22,254)
- Nova Southeastern University ($$23,638)
- Keiser University - Fort Lauderdale ($27,190)
The NCES also tracks graduation rates as a measure of a school's success in enabling students to finish their program of study. These numbers show the percentage of undergraduate students who began as full-time bachelor's degree students who finished that degree by 150% of the 'normal time' for a bachelor's degree. Profiled below are the top schools for graduation rate.
- Keiser University-Ft Lauderdale (68%)
- Everest University - Pompano Beach (52%)
- Nova Southeastern University (44%)
- Broward College (32%)
When considering where to attend college in one of the schools encompassed by the Broward County area, make sure to consider factors like graduation rates, net cost, closeness to cities, and student population before making a decision.