Brownsville-area students have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to postsecondary education, including vocational training schools and 4-year universities. To help students pinpoint if any are a good match for their academic pursuits, we compare and contrast the traditional schools offering a variety of academic programs using data found in the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Brownsville, Texas
The majority of the schools in and around Brownsville are private, for-profit institutions. Two of the three public schools in the area offer graduate- and undergraduate-level programs for interested students.
- Southern Careers Institute-Brownsville (located downtown)
- The University of Texas at Brownsville (located downtown)
- Southern Careers Institute-Harlingen (21.3 miles from downtown)
- The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (47.8 miles from downtown)
- South Texas College (49.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Brownsville, Texas
Schools in the Brownsville area tend to have less than 1,000 students. All of the larger institutions with greater than 1,000 students are 4-year schools.
- South Texas College (30,180 students)
- The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (21,015 students)
- The University of Texas at Brownsville (11,943 students)
- Southern Careers Institute-Brownsville (497 students)
- Southern Careers Institute-Harlingen (369 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates a school's net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid full-time undergrad students receive, whether from the school or from the government, from the total cost to attend the school. The schools near Brownsville had net prices between about $1,300 and $24,400 for students attending during the 2014-2015 school year; however, the NCES only provided net prices for the largest programs for most of the area's institutions. The following schools were the only institutions to have overall average net prices. Fortunately, these three institutions also had the lowest net costs across the board.
- South Texas College ($1,306)
- The University of Texas at Brownsville ($2,740)
- The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley ($4,335)
Highest Graduation Rate
For the schools near Brownsville, the graduation rates are based on NCES figures for the percentage of full-time, beginning undergraduate students who completed their programs within 150% of normal time. The schools' graduation rates are based on data from the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Southern Careers Institute-Harlingen (66% graduation rate)
- Southern Careers Institute-Brownsville (56% graduation rate)
- The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (39% graduation rate)
- The University of Texas at Brownsville (31% graduation rate)
- South Texas College (18% graduation rate)
Students can find variation in several public and private schools in the Brownsville, TX, area when it comes to graduation rates, price, size, and location.