Carbondale and its surrounding areas offer various educational options. To help aspiring students choose the school that best fits their goals, we compare the traditional schools in the area using statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Carbondale, Illinois
For students wishing to attend school in the Carbondale area, there are mostly 2-year institutions to choose from. Although there are a couple 4-year schools available, only one offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (located downtown)
- John A Logan College (8.2 miles from downtown)
- Shawnee Community College (31.8 miles from downtown)
- Rend Lake College (34.1 miles from downtown)
- Southeastern Illinois College (37.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Carbondale, Illinois
Some students may desire to attend a larger school for greater variety in events and organizations. The largest schools near Carbondale are all public institutions. Most schools in the area have between 1,500 and 4,000 students, although one is quite a bit larger.
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (17,292 students)
- John A Logan College (3,575 students)
- Rend Lake College (2,303 students)
- Southeastern Illinois College (2,034 students)
- Shawnee Community College (1,819 students)
Lowest Net Price
Students looking at a college are often concerned with educational costs. The NCES determines the net price by taking the total cost of a year of education at a specific school and then subtracting the average amount of aid full-time undergraduate students receive at that school. Based upon the NCES statistics for net prices from the 2014-2015 academic year, all the traditional schools in the area had net prices below $16,000.
- Rend Lake College ($4,391)
- John A Logan College ($5,447)
- Southeastern Illinois College ($6,988)
- Shawnee Community College ($12,752)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale ($15,595)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES reports the graduation rates for full-time undergrad students who finish a degree program within 150% of the time it should take to complete the program. Most of the schools in the area had rates below 50% for 2015.
- Rend Lake College (51% graduation rate)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (45% graduation rate)
- Shawnee Community College (36% graduation rate)
- Southeastern Illinois College (35% graduation rate)
- John A Logan College (25% graduation rate)
The Carbondale, IL, area offers a handful of schools for students to choose from, and these institutions differ in graduation rates, net price, student population size, and proximity to downtown Carbondale.