Caribou, Maine, is home to only one school, and it focuses on cosmetology training. Caribou-area students who are more intrigued by a traditional college education can compare three traditional institutions in this article based on data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Caribou, Maine
The three traditional schools closest to Caribou are all public institutions. Two of the three are 4-year schools.
- Northern Maine Community College (11.6 miles from downtown)
- University of Maine at Presque Isle (11.6 miles from downtown)
- University of Maine at Fort Kent (83.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Caribou, Maine
Even the largest schools near Caribou have fewer than 1,500 students. The largest available schools only offer undergraduate degree programs for students.
- University of Maine at Fort Kent (1,327 students)
- University of Maine at Presque Isle (1,138 students)
- Northern Maine Community College (1,079 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES generates the net price statistic by subtracting the average amount of financial aid a full-time undergrad student receives (from scholarships and grants) from the total cost of attendance. For the 2014-2015 school year (the latest year data is available), Caribou's local colleges had net prices around $10,500 to $13,000.
- Northern Maine Community College ($10,536)
- University of Maine at Presque Isle ($10,595)
- University of Maine at Fort Kent ($13,037)
Highest Graduation Rates
How well do these three schools do at turning first-time students into graduates? One way the NCES arrives at an answer to that question is by calculating the number of full-time undergrad students who graduate within 150% of the normal time it takes to complete their program, e.g., those who fully complete a 2-year associate's degree within three years or a 4-year bachelor's degree in six years. The NCES reports the following graduation rates for 2015:
- University of Maine at Presque Isle (47% graduation rate)
- Northern Maine Community College (42% graduation rate)
- University of Maine at Fort Kent (40% graduation rate)
There are only three traditional schools in the Caribou, ME, area, but they do differ somewhat in location, size, price, and graduation rates.