Considering four different categories, we compare Carlisle schools that would appeal to traditional students seeking degrees. Data for comparison is taken from the National Center for Education Statistics and reflects the most current data as of 2016.
Schools Closest to Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Choosing to attend school near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, provides prospective applicants with a choice of city, town or suburban setting. If you are concerned about finding a school close to Carlisle for commuting, you will find all of the following within a 19-mile drive of downtown, with one school actually in town.
- Dickinson College (0.0 miles)
- Messiah College (10.5 miles)
- Central Penn College (15.5 miles)
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology (17.1 miles)
- Harrisburg Area Community College - Harrisburg (18.3 miles)
Largest Schools Near Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Larger schools may be appealing to some students for a variety of reasons. The largest traditional school in the area, Harrisburg Area Community College, has over 20,000 students. The next largest school drops to around 7,400 students and is a 4-year public school.
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (7,355)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Harrisburg (4,519)
- Messiah College (3,234)
- Gettysburg College (2,447)
- Dickinson College (2,364)
Lowest Net Price
College is an investment, so students should research the cost of attendance before starting their postsecondary education. Luckily, the NCES College Navigator provides the average net price for attendance for full-time undergraduate students at each college/university. Below are the five least expensive schools for the 2014-2015 academic school year:
- Harrisburg Area Community College ($9,750)
- Keystone Technical Institute ($14,022)
- Central Penn College ($16,443)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania ($17,605)
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology ($18,863)
Highest Graduation Rate
The graduation rate of an institution can be an excellent indicator of how dedicated a university is to seeing their students succeed, and the NCES provides these statistics. Below are the top five schools, all of which are 4-year schools surrounding Carlisle, with the highest graduation rate for their full-time undergraduate students who completed their programs within 6 years, as of 2015:
- Dickinson College (85%)
- Gettysburg College (83%)
- Messiah College (77%)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Harrisburg (64%)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (57%)
If you are looking for a 2-year or community college option, Harrisburg Area Community College rates in three out of our four categories; and if a 4-year school is your choice, you can see several schools appearing in more than one category.