Cedar Rapids and its surrounding areas are home to several colleges and universities that offer diverse educational settings. We draw on information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to help students find the right traditional school to meet their needs.
Closest Schools to Cedar Rapids, Iowa
For students wishing to attend school near Cedar Rapids, there is a fairly even mix of 2-year and 4-year institutions to choose from. A few of the 4-year institutions offer graduate degree programs in addition to undergraduate programs.
- Kaplan University-Cedar Rapids Campus (2.2 miles from downtown)
- Coe College (3.5 miles from downtown)
- Mount Mercy University (3.5 miles from downtown)
- Kirkwood Community College (3.8 miles from downtown)
- Cornell College (11.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Cedar Rapids, Iowa
There are several larger schools near Cedar Rapids that have student populations greater than 1,000 students. Most of the bigger schools are private, but the two largest are public institutions.
- University of Iowa (30,844 students)
- Kirkwood Community College (14,368 students)
- Mount Mercy University (1,877 students)
- Coe College (1,411 students)
- Cornell College (1,037 students)
Lowest Net Price
The monetary cost of attending an institution of higher learning is obviously one of the biggest considerations in choosing a college. The NCES calculates the average net price of attending most colleges in the U.S. through totaling the complete cost of attending a school and then subtracting the average amount of financial aid full-time undergrad students received. In the 2014-2015 school year, most schools in the area had net prices less than $20,000.
- Kirkwood Community College ($8,656)
- University of Iowa ($14,558)
- Kaplan University-Cedar Rapids Campus ($18,111)
- Mount Mercy University ($20,274)
- Coe College ($21,270)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation and retention rates measure the level of student satisfaction at a given school. The NCES calculates its graduation rate by measuring the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who graduate from their degree program within 150% of 'normal time' (i.e. six years for a four-year school). The majority of schools in the Cedar Rapids area had rates of 50% or more for 2015.
- University of Iowa (72% graduation rate)
- Cornell College (68% graduation rate)
- Coe College (67% graduation rate)
- Mount Mercy University (65% graduation rate)
- Kaplan University-Cedar Rapids Campus (36% graduation rate)
The Cedar Rapids, IA, area has several 2-year and 4-year institutions that give students plenty of options when it comes to location, size, price, and graduation rates.