The greater Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, region is host to roughly 15 postsecondary institutions, and we are focusing on the private and public colleges and universities in and around Chambersburg. These schools are compared in four categories based on data from the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Students that do not wish to be far from home or work can find several schools within 31 miles of Chambersburg. Here are five schools in the Chambersburg area close enough for commuting students.
- Wilson College (0.0 miles)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Mont Alto (8.1 miles)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (9.6 miles)
- Gettysburg College (21.9 miles)
- Dickinson College (31.0 miles)
Largest Schools Near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
You can see that after Harrisburg Area Community College, enrollment takes a steep decline to the next largest school in the area. Students may want to attend a larger school as most provide more program variety and student activity options. See the five largest traditional schools in the area here:
- Harrisburg Area Community College - Harrisburg (20,230)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (7,355)
- Messiah College (3,234)
- Gettysburg College (2,447)
- Dickinson College (2,364)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Finances usually play a role in college choice, so students may want to check out a school's average net price. This is calculated by subtracting the amount of financial aid the average student receives from the total cost of attendance, which includes tuition (in-state or in-district rates at public schools), fees, class materials and living expenses. Traditional schools in the Chambersburg area have net prices ranging from about $9,800 to nearly $34,100. Below are the five mainstream schools with the lowest net prices for 2014-15 for full-time undergraduates, all according to the NCES.
- Harrisburg Area Community College - Harrisburg ($9,750)
- Central Penn College ($16,443)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania ($17,605)
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology ($18,863)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Mont Alto ($20,038)
Highest Graduation Rate
A school's overall graduation rate is the percentage of first-time students who complete their programs within 150% of the 'normal' time (within six years for a bachelor's degree, for example). Overall graduation rates at colleges in the Chambersburg area range from 85% to 6%. Here are the five mainstream schools - all four-year institutions - with the highest overall graduation rates as of 2016. All statistics come from the NCES and apply to students who began their studies in fall 2009.
- Dickinson College (85%)
- Gettysburg College (83%)
- Messiah College (77%)
- Juniata College (73%)
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (57%)
As you can see, many traditional colleges are available to those in the Chambersburg, PA, area; students can find great options based on cost, size, location and graduation rate.