Prospective students looking at schools in the Charleston area have a range of options, including a public 4-year college, a few technical colleges, and a military college. To help students make an informed choice, data from the National Center for Education Statistics lists the schools' proximity, student population, net price, and graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Charleston, South Carolina
Certificate courses and undergraduate programs are available at all the schools nearest to Charleston, South Carolina. Institutions located within 11 miles of the city include:
- College of Charleston (0.3 miles)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina (1.7 miles)
- Trident Technical College (5.2 miles)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston (10.4 miles)
- Strayer University-Charleston Campus (10.4 miles)
Largest Schools Near Charleston, South Carolina
In Fall 2014, majority of the schools with the largest student population in Charleston, South Carolina, were public colleges. All of the institutions included below had more than 600 enrolled students.
- Trident Technical College (16,136 students: all undergraduates)
- College of Charleston (11,456 students: 10,440 undergraduates)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina (3,592 students: 2,763 undergraduates)
- Charleston Southern University (3,367 students: 2,967 undergraduates)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston (635 students: all undergraduates)
Lowest Net Price
When choosing a school, students might consider the cost of tuition and the amount of debt they can expect to accrue. The NCES estimates the net price of a college by subtracting the average amount of financial aid received by full-time undergraduate student from the total cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, books, room and board. The college with the lowest cost in the Charleston area had a total net price of less than $8,000. Costs are figured for in-state or in-district full-time undergraduate students during the academic year 2014-2015.
- Trident Technical College ($7,665)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina ($17,162)
- Charleston Southern University ($17,417)
- College of Charleston ($18,677)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston ($20,064)
Highest Graduation Rate
The success rate of students in completing their programs of study is another consideration when choosing a school. The NCES figures a college's overall graduation rate by determining the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their program within 150% of the 'normal' time for that program (six years for a bachelor's degree, for example). The schools with the highest graduation rates in 2015 include:
- College of Charleston (68%)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina (67%)
- Charleston Southern University (39%)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston (39%)
- Trident Technical College (11%)
You can pursue your education through a number of schools located in Charleston, South Carolina, and understanding which schools have strong graduation rates, low average costs and nearby locations can help you find the right fit.