Aspiring college students in the Clackamas area have plenty of educational options nearby, particularly in the metropolitan hub of Portland. With data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) concerning proximity, student populations, net costs, and graduation rates, you can make an informed school choice.
Closest Schools to Clackamas, Oregon
There are a number of both 2- and 4-year institutions near Clackamas, Oregon that offer certificate, undergraduate, or graduate level degrees. The five nearest schools conveniently located within 8 miles of the city include:
- Clackamas Community College (5.5 miles)
- Marylhurst University (6.2 miles)
- Reed College (7.3 miles)
- Warner Pacific College (7.8 miles)
- Mt Hood Community College (7.9 miles)
Largest Schools Near Clackamas, Oregon
Portland Community College, a 2-year public institution, had the largest student population nearby Clackamas, Oregon. Its total student population in Fall 2014 was 30,929, all of whom were undergraduates. The next five schools with large student populations in the area are all non-profit schools, consisting of public and private universities and colleges.
- Portland State University (27,696 students; 22,136 undergraduates)
- Mt Hood Community College (9,276 students; all undergraduates)
- Concordia University-Portland (7,435 students; 1,257 undergraduates)
- Clackamas Community College (7,302 students; all undergraduates)
- University of Portland (4,143 students; 3,674 undergraduates)
Lowest Net Price
To determine the average net price for a school, the NCES takes the average total attendance cost and subtracts the average amount of financial aid full-time undergraduate students receive. In the Clackamas area, 2-year community colleges tend to have lower net prices when compared to 4-year universities. According to the NCES, the top five schools that had the lowest net prices near Clackamas during the 2014-2015 school year were:
- Clackamas Community College ($5,227)
- Mt Hood Community College ($7,424)
- Portland Community College ($8,754)
- Portland State University ($13,476)
- Reed College ($19,192)
Highest Graduation Rates
To compute the graduation rate, the NCES looks at full-time undergraduate students who graduated from their programs within 150% of the program's normal time. For 4-year schools, this means the graduation rate statistics count students who finished their bachelor's degree program within 6 years. In 2015, graduation rates for traditional schools in the Clackamas area ranged from 15% to 82%.
- Reed College (82%)
- University of Portland (78%)
- Lewis & Clark College (72%)
- George Fox University (70%)
- Pioneer Pacific College (65%)
With a variety of schools to choose from in Clackamas, Oregon, you can make a more informed decision by using the information given by the NCES concerning distances, graduation rates, student population, and net prices.