There are many 4-year colleges and universities that offer bachelor's degrees in psychology, with coursework including independent research and the study of psychological theory, analytical theory, and ethical principles as they relate to psychology. Graduates from a psychology program will be well-rounded in human behavior, which is knowledge applicable to a variety of careers and job situations.
Top 10 Psychology Programs
Here is a selection of the top schools in the country that offer a bachelor's degree program in psychology:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Harvard University||Cambridge, MA||4-year, Private||$45,278|
|University of California--Los Angeles||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Public||In-state: $12,763; Out-of-state: $37,471|
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||4-year, Private||$47,600|
|Stanford University||Stanford, CA||4-year, Private||$46,320|
|Columbia University||New York, NY||4-year, Private||$53,000|
|University of California--San Diego||La Jolla, CA||4-year, Public||In-state: $13,530; Out-of-state: $38,238|
|University of Pittsburgh||Pittsburgh, PA||4-year, Public||In-state: $18,192; Out-of-state: $28,958|
|Duke University||Durham, NC||4-year, Private||$49,241|
|University of Michigan--Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||4-year, Public||In-state: $13,856; Out-of-State: $43,476|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Cambridge,MA||4-year, Private||$46,704|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Behavioral Sciences, General
- Clinical Psychology, General
- Cognitive Psychology and Psycholinguistics
- Cognitive Science
- Community Psychology
- Comparitive Psychology
- Counseling Psychology, General
- Environmental Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Family Psychology
- Forensic Psychology, General
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Medical Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Physiological Psychology
- Psychology, General
- Psychometrics and Quantitative Psychology
- Social Psychology
College Selection Criteria:
There are many universities that offer psychology programs at the bachelor's degree level, so individuals interested in this field of study should keep in mind the following when considering a program:
- Consider career aspirations and whether or not pursuing a psychology doctorate or taking prerequisite classes for medical school makes sense. Also, find out if a university offers graduate programs for continued study.
- Look for a program with internship opportunities and career connections in a specific field of interest.
- Know what advising services a university offers and if they are adequate.
- Some programs may offer specializations in areas of psychology.
Bachelor's Degree in Psychology
Bachelor's degree programs in psychology can usually be completed in four years. In addition to coursework in such topics as abnormal psychology and human behavior, many programs require research, fieldwork, and lab experience. Students may also have the option to specialize in areas like cognitive behavior and neuroscience. Depending on the school, graduates may earn either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science.
Many of the nation's top universities offer bachelor's degree programs in psychology. When deciding which program to pursue, students should take into account tuition, specific program requirements, and their future career and education track.