Students interested in attending an architecture school in the U.S. may enroll in a professional bachelor's or a professional master's degree in architecture; doctorate programs are also available. Explore school options and criteria for selecting the best school for you.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Architectural History
- Architectural Technology
- Environmental Design
- Interior Architecture
- Landscape Architecture
- Urban and Regional Planning
10 Schools with Architecture Degrees
The following 4-year institutions offer degree programs in architecture for interested students:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Harvard University||Cambridge, MA||4-year, Private||Master's, Doctoral||$42,874 (Graduate)|
|Columbia University||New York, NY||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$53,000 (Undergraduate) $44,176 (Graduate)|
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$47,600 (Undergraduate) $38,700 (Graduate)|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Cambridge, MA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$46,704 (Undergraduate) $49,272 (Graduate)|
|Cornell University||Ithaca, NY||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$49,116 (Undergraduate) $29,581 (Graduate)|
|University of Michigan||Ann Arbor, MI||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$13,856 in-state, $43,476 out-of-state (Undergraduate) $20,966 in-state, $42,016 out-of-state (Graduate)|
|Rice University||Houston, TX||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$42,253 (Undergraduate) $34,750 (Graduate)|
|University of Pennsylvania||Philadelphia, PA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$49,563 (Undergraduate) $34,268 (Graduate)|
|University of Virginia||Charlottesville,VA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's||$15,192 in-state, $44,365 out-of-state (Undergraduate) $17,094 in-state, $26,892 out-of-state (Graduate)|
|University of California--Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$13,431 in-state, $38,139 out-of-state (Undergraduate) $13,431 in-state, $28,533 out-of-state (Graduate)|
*Source: National Center for Education Statistics
College Selection Criteria
There are a number of considerations that students should consider before choosing an educational program.
- Applicants without experience should seek a school with a Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.), while those with a bachelor's in a field other than architecture or who have earned a non-professional bachelor's in architecture might look for an institution offering a professional Master in Architecture (M.Arch.).
- Find a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
- Consider the coursework and concentrations offered. For example some schools may focus on design, the history of architecture, or technologies used in architectural design.
- Some schools offer hands-on experiences with professional architects already working in the field.
Aspiring architects can earn a Bachelor of Architecture, a Master in Architecture or a Doctorate in Architecture from public and private institutions. Accreditation, hands-on experience and degree concentrations may be some things that potential students want to consider when selecting a school.