Many schools offer undergraduate programs in the field of history. Different schools tend to specialize in specific themes or geographic areas of study, while also offering study-abroad or online education options.
Top Ten Schools with History Programs
Here is a sample of universities that offer undergraduate history majors.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2015-2016)*|
|Columbia University||New York, NY||Private not-for-profit, 4-year||$53,000|
|Harvard University||Cambridge, MA||Private not-for-profit, 4-year||$45,278|
|Princeton University||Princeton, NJ||Private not-for-profit, 4-year||$43,450|
|Stanford University||Stanford, CA||Private not-for-profit, 4-year||$46,320|
|University of California - Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||Public, 4-year||$13,431 (in-state), $38,139 (out-of-state)|
|University of California - Los Angeles||Los Angeles, CA||Public, 4-year||$12,763 (in-state), $37,471 (out-of-state)|
|University of Chicago||Chicago, IL||Private not-for-profit, 4-year||$51,351|
|University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||Public, 4-year||$13,856 (in-state), $43,376 (out-of-state)|
|University of Pennsylvania||Philadelphia, PA||Private not-for-profit, 4-year||$49,536|
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||Private not-for-profit, 4-year||$47,600|
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- American History
- Ancient Studies
- Asian History
- Classical Mediterranean and Near Eastern Studies
- Cultural Resource Management
- European History
- Historic Preservation
- History of Science and Technology
- Holocaust Studies
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Museum Studies
- Public History and Archival Administration
College Selection Criteria
Depending on the school, 4-year bachelor's programs in history can include many specialties, such as the history of gender, European history, modern world history and Asian history. Important considerations include the following:
- Students should think about a particular specialty that interests them and choose a school offering such a program.
- Many history programs require some type of externship or travel experience, and students should consider whether those travel options align with their academic interests.
- Students may want to consider online program options, including hybrid programs, particularly students who need scheduling flexibility due to work or family commitments.
Bachelor of Arts in History
Most history majors choose either a country or continent on which to focus their studies. Some of the more common choices include countries such as the United States, Africa, China, Japan, and Mexico. History majors take courses that discuss differing cultures, important periods of history and government actions. They also take examinations and write in-depth papers on topics that demonstrate their understanding of a specialty.
When it comes to selecting a history program, students should make sure that their interests (gender history, Asian history, modern World history, etc.) align with the specialties offered at different schools. Students should also consider whether these programs offer study-abroad and online program options.