Students can choose among private and public schools in the Columbus area to find the institution that best meets their needs. To aid in your search, compare data compiled by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) on factors such as; proximity to Columbus, school size, cost, and net price.
Closest Schools to Columbus, Indiana
There are 3 colleges within the borders of Columbus, less than 4 miles away from the city's center. The next closest schools are roughly 21 miles away or more. Below is a listing of the 5 schools closest to Columbus and its surrounding area.
- Harrison College-Columbus (3.8 miles away)
- Ivy Tech Community College-Columbus (3.8 miles away)
- Purdue University - Purdue Polytechnic Columbus (3.8 miles away)
- Franklin College (20.7 miles away)
- Indiana University-Bloomington (31.9 miles away)
Largest Schools Near Columbus, Indiana
Indiana University-Bloomington is the only large school in the 35-mile radius around Columbus with nearly 43,503 students. The remaining schools are smaller, with 6,000 or less. See the top 4 colleges in terms of student population below.
- University of Indianapolis (5,935 total students)
- Franklin College (982 total students)
- Ivy Tech Community College-Columbus (data not available)
Lowest Net Price
Tuition is the highest profile part of the cost equation in attending a college, but other elements such as cost of supplies and housing and the availability of financial aid are important as well. NCES takes all those factors into account in their net price statistic, which averages the amount students had to pay to attend one year of college after subtracting financial aid from the total cost. All figures are from the 2018-2019 school year and represent the cost for a full-time student.
- Indiana University-Bloomington ($13,036)
- University of Indianapolis ($21,161)
- Franklin College ($22,904)
Highest Graduation Rate
NCES also keeps track of the number of full-time students who graduate from a college within 150% of the normal time it should take to complete their degree program. For four-year colleges like the following, 150% of normal time would represent six years. Below are the schools near Columbus with the highest graduation rates from 2019.
- Indiana University-Bloomington (79% graduation rate)
- Franklin College (65% graduation rate)
- University of Indianapolis (60% graduation rate)
The data compiled by the NCES highlighting student enrollment, lowest net price, distance to the city and highest graduation rate should prove very valuable in the college selection process for prospective students in the Columbus, IN, area.