Online Computer Game Programming Courses
Below are examples of courses that may be offered in online programs in computer game programming.
- Introduction to Game Production: This class introduces students to object-oriented game scripting language. Students learn to build a sophisticated computer gaming program, as well as learn about event driven programming, data driven programming and elementary graphics concepts.
- Computer Graphics: An online computer graphics course covers interactive graphics techniques, displays, 3D graphics, graphic system design and graphic languages.
- Game Engine Concepts: Students in this course are introduced to several topics and programs, including game memory management, multithreading in games, sprites and bitmap animation, differing game types, game and level design, sound and music, lighting techniques and special effects.
- Designing Interactive Applications with Flash: This specialized computer game programming course combines design and digital programming to give students an overview of what can be produced in Flash.
- Game Environment Design: This course highlights the different elements that students will consider in the process of designing a simulated game environment. Students will learn how all elements of the environment must work together to contribute to the overall gaming experience.
- Mathematics for Games: In this course students learn the foundational math of video game programming for efficiency and ease.
- Game Electronics: Students seeking to understand hardware along with software can take a course in game electronics, which teaches the skills necessary to build and program their own gaming device.
Online computer game programming courses are typically offered as part of bachelor's degree programs in game design, game programming or a related field. While some of these programs can be completed totally online, others may be offered in hybrid format, which combines online and on-campus learning. In online computer game programming classes, students learn the fundamentals of computer programming as it relates to the computer language, types, light and sound techniques. Students should enroll in online computer game programming classes with a basic understanding of computer science, computer systems and graphic design.
Because of the electronic nature of video game programming many courses are available online. Students can choose from private or public schools, and how in depth they want to study. Courses can be for informational purposes or count towards various certificate programs to be added to a resume.