Online Courses in Computer Repair
Below is a list of commonly offered computer repair courses in online programs.
- Certification Preparation Course: While normally geared toward entry-level computer support technicians seeking professional credentials, this class is available to anyone and may be offered at different levels of competency, from basic to advanced.
- Computer Technician Course: In addition to offering preparation for the A+ certification exam, a computer technician course typically provides students with a foundational understanding of hardware and software components. Other topics of study could include network configuration, systems troubleshooting, equipment maintenance and repair.
- Operating Systems Course: This course teaches students how operating systems communicate and store information. Students will study viruses that can infect operating systems and explore Windows and Apple operating systems. Proper maintenance procedures are also covered.
- Programming Essentials Course: An online programming course familiarizes students to concepts fundamental to understanding all programming languages. Logic and data structure problems, charting and diagramming methods, and arrays will be discussed.
- Introduction to UNIX Course: UNIX/Linux based operating systems are common in the computer world, and this course will introduce students to the basic principles of them. Lessons will focus on topics like UNIX commands, utilities, and organizational systems.
- Information and Computer Systems Security Course: Cybersecurity online courses teach about the security of information technology systems, including strengths and weaknesses. Students will learn to identify privacy and authentication issues and understand the nature of the debate over privacy.
Online courses in computer repair tend to appeal to those who want to know how to troubleshoot their home computer or repair items such as printers, central processing units (CPUs) and network security. They can also be helpful to existing computer support professionals looking to develop additional skills.
Online courses can also be offered as part of larger hybrid or entirely online programs. Some classes include troubleshooting and maintenance of Microsoft operating systems and Linux network systems. Individuals who aren't interested in years of study can look to certificate and diploma programs, which can take a respective three and six months to complete.
In an online program, it is common for students to provide their own equipment and tools for practice and training purposes. In addition, most online computer repair classes offer virtual labs for students to further develop their skills. Students may also participate in interactive and asynchronous lectures through the use of teleconferencing, video conferencing, email, instant messaging and discussion boards. Some online computer repair courses mail the required printed materials and CD-ROMs to students.
Many computer repair courses and programs can be found online in many different topics. You will have no problem finding the courses in your interest, whether it be in programming, cybersecurity, or learning about the various types of operating systems available.