Connecticut Teacher Certification Programs with Course Info

Jul 31, 2019

Essential Information

Students preparing for teaching certification in Connecticut may pursue bachelor's or master's degrees in education or teaching, or enroll in combined bachelor's and master's degree programs. In addition to programs in elementary education, secondary education and special education, aspiring teachers can find programs geared toward teaching specific subjects, such as agriculture, music, world languages, social sciences, math or science. Students enrolling in standalone master's degree programs may need to have completed coursework in the subject they wish to teach to qualify for admission. Students are required to complete student teaching requirements before graduating and becoming eligible for Connecticut teacher certification.

University of Connecticut

The University of Connecticut, located in Storrs, offers teacher certification programs through its School of Education. Students can enroll in a 5-year integrated bachelor's and master's degree program or a 1-year master's degree program.

The integrated program requires two years of general education and subject study before students take courses in education and in their specialization, which may include elementary education, secondary education, music education, agriculture education or special education. Secondary education students also choose a subject-specific sub-field, such as math, science or English. The fifth year consists of education courses, and students complete a student teaching requirement.

Western Connecticut State University

Western Connecticut State University has its main campus in Danbury. Students seeking teacher certification may pursue an undergraduate or master's degree program through the Department of Education and Educational Psychology.

The bachelor's degree program features options to pursue certification in elementary education, secondary education, music education or health education. The specific course of study varies depending on the specialty, but most students are required to complete a subject-specific major in an area like math, science or English in addition to professional teaching coursework. Student teaching is required too.

The accelerated 14-month master's degree program in teaching is designed to prepare students to teach subjects like math, biology or Spanish at the secondary level. A bachelor's degree in one of these areas is required for admission. Courses may include educational research, teaching reading, contemporary educational issues, secondary school curriculum and computer literacy.

School Comparison: At a Glance

School School Type & Setting Programs Offered Graduate & Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2018-2019)
University of Connecticut 4-year, public; large suburb Integrated BS/MA in Education,
Teacher Certification Program for College Graduates MA
$15,730 (in-state, undergraduate);
$38,098 (out-of-state, undergraduate);
$17,660 (in-state, graduate);
$39,272 (out-of-state, graduate)*
Western Connecticut State University 4-year, public; small city BS in Education,
MA in Teaching
$10,859 (in-state, undergraduate);
$23,367 (out-of-state, undergraduate);
$12,204 (in-state, graduate);
$23,279 (out-of-state, graduate)*

Source: *NCES College Navigator

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?