Colleges with Continuing Education Programs in Michigan

Michigan has an extensive network of state universities that provide continuing education opportunities to its residents. Learn about two of these schools and their available programs.

In the state of Michigan, there are post-secondary institutions offering continuing education courses for students who want to further their knowledge in a particular area. Outcomes, such as receiving a degree, certificate or credits, vary.

Schools and Programs

Professionals in various fields can take seminars, earn professional certificates or pursue advanced degrees at universities in Michigan to change or grow in their careers. Often, these universities are based in cities. Some schools have multiple campuses or may offer programs partially or completely online. Below, three Michigan universities and a sampling of their available continuing education programs are explored.

Schools At a Glance

Western Michigan University

  • This institution is a 4-year, public school.
  • Classes are available online, on-campus and in hybrid format.

University of Michigan

  • This school is a 4-year, public institution.
  • Classes are available online, on-campus and in hybrid format.

Marygrove College

  • This institution is a 4-year, private school.
  • Classes are available online, on-campus and in hybrid format.

Western Michigan University's Continuing Education Programs

Western Michigan University's (WMU) Extended University comprises an educational network of satellite campuses throughout Michigan and online options. Onsite and hybrid programs are available in Battle Creek, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Detroit, Muskegon, Southwest and Traverse City. Adult students can take individual classes for personal enrichment or professional advancement, complete undergraduate degree programs and earn graduate certificates or degrees.

Educational Technology Programs

The graduate certificate and Master of Arts programs in educational technology are delivered exclusively online. The Master of Arts degree requires at least 30 credits, while the graduate certificate requires at least 18 credits.

Business Administration Programs

WMU's Haworth College of Business offers undergraduate and graduate business administration programs through continuing education opportunities. Concentrations for the MBA include Finance, Marketing and Management.

Counseling Psychology Programs

The Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology program emphasizes the theoretical bases of psychotherapy, practices and assessment. In addition, the Extended University has specialized graduate programs in clinical mental health, marriage and family, college and school counseling.

Manufacturing Engineering Program

WMU's Master of Science in Manufacturing Engineering espouses a curriculum that includes computer-integrated manufacturing and concurrent engineering.

Occupational Therapy

This Master of Science program requires 42 undergraduate and 30 graduate credits for completion. The program is conducted on-campus, and it's recommended for students who enjoy working with people who have illnesses or injuries that require additional support from others.

University of Michigan's Continuing Education Classes

The Business Engagement Center at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor addresses the needs of several professional communities for continuing education. Working professionals can participate in seminars, take individual courses or earn certificates and degrees. Courses and programs are divided in eight major categories, including those discussed below.

Business and Management Programs

The Executive Education Center at the Ross School of Business provides short-term training in leadership, public health and a variety of other executive-level topics.

Education Programs

Continuing education for teachers is offered at UM - Flint. The K-12 Professional Development and Continuing Education department at Flint has courses to help teachers develop professionally; K-12 teacher continuing education at UM - Flint focuses on technology integration, providing educators with intermediate and advanced certificate programs.

Engineering Programs

UM's College of Engineering and its research centers offer a wide range of continuing education programs for engineering professionals. The Center for Ergonomics offers short-term programs in occupational ergonomics and interventions.

Social Work Programs

Social workers can take workshops and mini-courses, as well as complete certificate programs at UM in professional knowledge and social work skill sets. Certificate options include treatment of mood disorders, sexual health and addictions.

Sustainability Programs

The Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise at the university provides education in environmentally friendly business practices to executives. The Institute also sponsors a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses and 'action learning' projects.

Marygrove College Continuing Education

Located in Detroit, Marygrove College offers a variety of courses through their continuing education department which has a minimum enrollment requirement for each class. Classes will not take place if the minimum is not reached. The department even includes classes for children of students. Programs available for adults include allied health, grant writing and yoga.

African-American Studies Certificate

This certificate requires 18 credits to complete. Students will take courses reviewing the history of black Americans, pivotal periods and ethnic diversity.

Women's Studies Certificate

Students completing this certificate will take courses analyzing the history of women's movements and lifestyle in the United States. Classes will have a multi-discipline perspective, including sociology and psychology. 4 courses are required, 2 electives can be chosen.

Detroit Studies Certificate

This certificate requires 16 credit hours. Students will learn about the artistic and communal history of metropolitan Detroit.

Students interested in continuing education programs in Michigan can attend Western Michigan University, the University of Michigan or Marygrove College. These schools offer programs in many areas, including business, social work and women's studies.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?