Though Cranston-area students can choose from several postsecondary institutions, more than half of them are either highly specialized or offer only a few programs. We focus exclusively on the more traditional colleges and universities close to Cranston and compare them in several categories using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Cranston, Rhode Island
For students wishing to attend school near Cranston, there is a good mix of 2-year (or less) and 4-year schools to choose from. The schools closest to Cranston are almost entirely private institutions.
- Johnson & Wales University-Providence (2.3 miles from downtown)
- Brown University (2.4 miles from downtown)
- Providence College (2.4 miles from downtown)
- Rhode Island College (3.8 miles from downtown)
- Community College of Rhode Island (6.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Cranston, Rhode Island
There are several larger institutions with more than 2,000 students near Cranston. Almost all of these schools (except the community colleges) offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Community College of Rhode Island (17,553 students)
- University of Rhode Island (16,571 students)
- Johnson & Wales University-Providence (9,955 students)
- Brown University (9,181 students)
- Rhode Island College (8,641 students)
Lowest Net Price
Cost is another important factor when evaluating potential schools. The NCES calculates net price by subtracting the average amount of grant or scholarship aid from the total cost of attending a school for full-time undergraduates. Net price gives prospective students a reasonably good idea of a school's actual cost. Although most of the schools near Cranston have net costs higher than $15,000, there are also some less expensive options for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Community College of Rhode Island ($6,169)
- Rhode Island College ($8,632)
- University of Rhode Island ($18,371)
- Brown University ($22,957)
- New England Institute of Technology ($25,852)
Highest Graduation Rates
Graduation rates offer prospective students a relatively good idea about each school's overall success. The NCES calculates this figure based on the percentage of first-time, full-time students who complete their degree or certificate program within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g., 6 years for a bachelor's degree). Most of the traditional schools near Cranston have graduation rates above 40% (the lowest is 14%), for 2015.
- Brown University (96% graduation rate)
- Providence College (85% graduation rate)
- Bryant University (80% graduation rate)
- Salve Regina University (72% graduation rate)
- Roger Williams University (64% graduation rate)
Students interested in attending school in the Cranston, RI, area can choose from several public and private institutions that vary in location, size, price, and graduation rates to meet their personal preferences.