Cullowhee is home to one 4-year public university, and there are several more colleges and universities nearby. Using the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), we compare the traditional schools that offer a range of programs to help students see which school might be best for them.
Closest Schools to Cullowhee, North Carolina
For students wishing to attend a school close to Cullowhee, there is a good mix of 2-year and 4-year schools close by to choose from. Most of the closest schools are public institutions.
- Western Carolina University (located downtown)
- Southwestern Community College (6.7 miles from downtown)
- Haywood Community College (23.1 miles from downtown)
- Brevard College (25.7 miles from downtown)
- South College-Asheville (41.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools near Cullowhee, North Carolina
The largest schools near Cullowhee include a few community colleges. As such, only a couple of the largest schools in the area offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Western Carolina University (10,340 students)
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (7,233 students)
- University of North Carolina at Asheville (3,891 students)
- Southwestern Community College (2,469 students)
- Blue Ridge Community College (2,118 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates an institution's average net price by subtracting the average financial aid received by a school's full-time undergraduate students from the total cost of attending that school. The average net prices of Cullowhee-area institutions were mostly under $15,000 for 2014-2015.
- Haywood Community College ($7,959)
- Blue Ridge Community College ($8,167)
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College ($9,111)
- Southwestern Community College ($9,120)
- Western Carolina University ($12,680)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES calculates an overall graduation rate indicating the percentage of full-time undergrad students who finish their program within 150% of the 'normal' time (e.g., six years for bachelor's degrees and three years for associate's degrees). All of the traditional schools in the area had rates of 60% or less for 2015.
- University of North Carolina at Asheville (60% graduation rate)
- Western Carolina University (57% graduation rate)
- Warren Wilson College (52% graduation rate)
- Brevard College (38% graduation rate)
- Southwestern Community College (30% graduation rate)
The Cullowhee, NC, area offers students a range of 2-year and 4-year institutions that vary in graduation rates, cost, student population size, and proximity to downtown Cullowhee.