Prospective students who are interested in educational pursuits within the Danville area have options among its traditional local colleges. When deciding which school is the best fit for your needs, several considerations play key roles, which we explore by using information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Danville, Virginia
There are a handful of traditional schools that are close to Danville. Most of the schools are 4-year institutions, and a couple of them offer graduate degree programs in addition to undergraduate programs.
- Averett University (3.8 miles from downtown)
- Averett University-Non-Traditional Programs (3.8 miles from downtown)
- Danville Community College (3.8 miles from downtown)
- Patrick Henry Community College (26.7 miles from downtown)
- Ferrum College (40.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Danville, Virginia
The traditional schools near Danville all fall between 870 to nearly 4,000 students. These schools are mostly 4-year private schools, but there are a couple of 2-year public institutions.
- Danville Community College (3,982 students)
- Patrick Henry Community College (2,853 students)
- Ferrum College (1,451 students)
- Averett University-Non-Traditional Programs (1,118 students)
- Averett University (872 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
According to the NCES, the schools available near Danville that reported net prices for 2014-2015 ranged from about $5,500-$21,500. The NCES calculates the net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid that a full-time undergrad receives from the total cost of attendance (i.e. tuition, fees, books, etc.).
- Patrick Henry Community College ($5,389)
- Danville Community College ($6,221)
- Ferrum College ($17,798)
- Averett University ($21,302)
Highest Graduation Rates
A school's overall graduation rate refers to the number of full-time undergraduate students at the institution who completed their programs within 150% of 'normal time'. An example of 150% of 'normal time' is six years to complete a bachelor's degree program. Most of the schools near Danville had rates of less than 50% for 2015.
- Averett University-Non-Traditional Programs (100% graduation rate)
- Averett University (34% graduation rate)
- Ferrum College (31% graduation rate)
- Danville Community College (28% graduation rate)
- Patrick Henry Community College (25% graduation rate)
The Danville, VA, area is home to a handful of private and public institutions that differ in graduation rates, price, size, and location.