The area of Des Moines, IA, has a diverse array of schools that offer a variety of educational settings with colleges and universities that offer degrees ranging from the associate's to the doctoral level, as well as certificates. We use information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to compare the traditional schools in the area.
Closest Schools to Des Moines, Iowa
The closest schools to Des Moines are almost entirely private institutions. Four of the following schools offer 4-year programs and one is a 2-year institution.
- Drake University (5.7 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Clive (5.8 miles from downtown)
- Des Moines Area Community College (5.8 miles from downtown)
- Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus (6.5 miles from downtown)
- Grand View University (7.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Des Moines, Iowa
The largest schools near Des Moines are 4-year schools, except for one 2-year community college. Students can find a range of school sizes from fewer than 100 students to more than 10,000 students.
- Iowa State University (35,714 students)
- Des Moines Area Community College (22,298 students)
- Drake University (4,991 students)
- Grand View University (1,988 students)
- Simpson College (1,690 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The average net price for a college or university is determined by subtracting the average amount of government or institutional financial aid full-time undergrad students receive from the total cost of attendance. The net costs reported here are based on data from the NCES for the 2014-15 academic year. The net prices for the few traditional schools in or near Des Moines range from about $10,000 to over $27,000.
- Des Moines Area Community College ($10,105)
- Iowa State University ($13,647)
- Grand View University ($17,315)
- Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus ($17,881)
- Vatterott College-Des Moines ($19,581)
Highest Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate for a school includes the number of full-time undergraduate students who completed their studies in 150% of 'normal time'. For example, students who complete a bachelor's degree within 6 years or an associate's degree within 3 years are counted for the overall graduation statistic. According to NCES figures, the schools in the Des Moines area (including specialty schools) had overall graduation rates of 22%-79% in 2015.
- Drake University (75% graduation rate)
- Iowa State University (71% graduation rate)
- Simpson College (68% graduation rate)
- Grand View University (47% graduation rate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Clive (46% graduation rate)
There are several traditional private and a couple public institutions in the Des Moines, IA, area that provide students with a range of school locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates.