About Winthrop University
Winthrop University is a comprehensive public university located in Rock Hill, SC, just outside Charlotte. The school offers high-quality campus-based and online graduate programs designed to help students develop the skills, knowledge, and values to enrich their life and prepare them for what the future holds. Programs include rigorous curricula, experienced faculty, and small classes - the student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Winthrop was founded in 1886 with 21 students, and today it enrolls more than 6,000 students.
Winthrop University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, master's and specialist degrees. Our graduate programs hold their own individual programmatic accreditation to meet the top national standards of quality. These include:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): The MBA program is among the 5 percent of business programs worldwide to achieve AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accreditation.
- Master of Social Work (M.S.W.): The M.S.W. program is one of only 254 programs accredited by the CSWE (Council on Social Work Education).
- Master of Education in Special Education Intervention (M.Ed.): The M.Ed. program holds accreditation from the National Council for Accreditation for Teacher Education (NCATE).
U.S. News and World Report ranked Winthrop University 8th among Southern public universities and the 17th Best College for Veterans on its 2018 list of best colleges. The university has also been ranked among the 'Best in the Southeast' by The Princeton Review and recognized for its contribution to the public good by Washington Monthly.
'I loved that Winthrop's MSW program focused on empowerment practice across a variety of levels instead of making me choose micro vs macro at the start of my program like other schools did.'
Tara H., Current M.S.W. Student
'The M.A.AA. program is unique in concept and implementation. We have direct, hands-on experience with the specific challenges and opportunities managed by arts administrators.'
Kyle C., Current M.A.A.A. Student
'I've applied what I learned about marketing to my current job. I've also been able to apply my new knowledge to the volunteer work I do for my community by encouraging non-profit arts organizations to create best practices that will help the organization become successful.'
Victoria C., M.A.A.A. Graduate
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree or higher
Why Winthrop University?
Variety of Programs
Winthrop University offers the following online graduate programs:
- Online Master of Arts in Arts Administration (M.A.A.A.)
- Online Master of Social Work (M.S.W.)
- Online Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Online Master of Education in Special Education Intervention (M.Ed.)
This university enrolls a culturally diverse and socially responsible student body and is an institution of choice for many groups often under-represented on college campuses.
Winthrop programs are based on the values of service, excellence, diversity, community and leadership.
Its campus includes multiple examples of neo-Georgian architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Winthrop University among the top Southern Public Universities in the 2018 list of Best Colleges, and the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) listed Winthrop University on its 2015 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll (which was its tenth consecutive time on the list).
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
Applicants to Winthrop University must meet the minimum admission criteria for each individual online graduate program. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.
Find Your Program:
- Master of Arts in Arts Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration Sports Marketing & Revenue Generation
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Strategic Leadership
- Master of Education in Special Education Intervention
- Master of Social Work