Online programs in healthcare management are available entirely online or in a hybrid format and generally culminate in students earning a Bachelor of Science degree. These online bachelor's degree programs typically require the completion of a capstone project or research paper, and there may be some in-person requirements, depending on the program.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Bachelor of Science Degree - Healthcare Management Specialization
The field of healthcare management combines business and management concepts with specialized knowledge and practices from the healthcare field.
Common Course Topics
Examples of specific courses in a healthcare management distance learning program include:
- Issues in Public Health
- Healthcare Delivery Systems
- Issues and Trends in the Healthcare Industry
- Managerial Communications
- Health Services Organization and Delivery
- Human Resource Management
- Ethics and Law for Administrators
Online degree programs allow students to complete their lessons and coursework on an asynchronous basis, and students complete and submit assignments online. Many students, especially those who work or have families, find the increased flexibility of online distance learning programs desirable.
Online distance learning programs differ from traditional, on-campus programs in their structure and the types of materials used. Online bachelor's degree programs in healthcare management offer students the opportunity to learn from instructional aids such as recorded lectures, textbooks, videos, audio recordings, slideshows, web modules, and group discussions.
Healthcare and healthcare management are broad and growing fields. Possible job titles in the field of healthcare management include:
- Hospital executive
- Group practice executive
- Healthcare consultant
- Home healthcare administrator
- Public health planner
The employment outlook for medical and health services managers, a common field for people holding degrees in healthcare management, is very good. According to information provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment in this field is projected to grow 17% from 2014-2024, which is notably faster than the national average.
Students enrolled in online bachelor's programs in healthcare management will generally take courses in business and management, as well as more specific courses relevant to healthcare. These programs may be ideal for working healthcare professionals, as they allow students to complete courses at their own pace.