Online Graphic Design Courses
Below are some commonly offered online courses in graphic design.
- Color Theory: Students in this class explore how color is processed by the brain. The social and cultural implications of color in different time periods are also discussed, and students learn how to use color as an expressive tool.
- Computer Illustration: This class investigates the use of vector-based illustration to create images for print and screen publication. Students complete illustration assignments demonstrating their understanding of design principles and popular illustration software programs.
- Desktop Publishing: Students acquire skills in designing, developing and preparing materials, such as brochures, promotional publications and newsletters. This class provides training in desktop publishing software, such as Adobe PageMaker, to produce publications.
- Digital Imaging: The principles of composition, color and visual impact are applied to capture and manipulate digital images. Students use digital cameras, scanners and digital imaging software to explore the artistic and technical processes of graphic design.
- Typography: Students survey the design of basic letter characters, type families and the use of typography in creative expression. The class builds skills in typesetting and layout for print and the Web.
- Interactive Web Design: Students in this course apply their graphic design skills to Internet publishing and other media devices. Students also have the chance to create sample designs based on specific brand, functionality and audience guidelines.
- Language and Practice of Media Arts:In this course, students learn about visual media and media production. Topics include technology, sound and image design, and how to express ideas.
- Graphics and Layout in Print Media: This course addresses the graphic design skills necessary for visual communication. Various areas of study include balance, symmetry, logo design and layout strategies.
Online graphic design courses are typically offered as part of associate's, bachelor's or master's degree programs in graphic design, Web design or multimedia design. Distance-learning certificate programs are also available for graphic design professionals who want to hone their skills in specific software programs, like Adobe Photoshop. Students enrolled in distance-learning graphic design classes interact with instructors and classmates via Web-based learning platforms. Professors typically post instructional lectures and class assignments that can be accessed at any time, and students post questions and discussion topics to class forums.
Distance learning courses in graphic design are offered online via associate's, bachelor's and master's degrees; certificate programs are also available. Topics include color theory, desktop publishing and digital imaging.