There are a handful of schools in the greater Kansas City, Missouri, region that offer doctoral training. However, most of them are highly specialized and focus on either healthcare or religious vocations. There are 3 traditional schools that over a diverse array of graduate programs. With so few options to choose from, it is imperative that students use National Center of Education Statistics (NCES) data to make their ultimate selection, considering categories such as; location, size, cost, and graduation rate.
Graduate Schools Closest to Kansas City, Missouri
The 3 graduate schools that offer doctoral programs and are located near Kansas City, MO, are easily accessible via a short drive, with all 3 schools located less than 12 miles away. The schools are both public and privately-owned. Below are the 5 schools closest to Kansas City.
- Rockhurst University (5.0 miles away)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (5.0 miles away)
- University of Kansas- Edwards Campus (11.6 miles away)
Largest Graduate Schools Near Kansas City, Missouri
The 3 graduate schools offering doctoral programs near Kansas City vary widely in the size of the student population. The smallest school has less than 750 total graduate students, while the largest of the 3 schools has over 8,000. Here is a list of the largest graduate schools near Kansas City:
- University of Kansas- Edwards Campus (8,014 graduate students)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (5,442 graduate students)
- Rockhurst University (748 graduate students)
Lowest Average Graduate Tuition and Fees
The cost of tuition and fees at the graduate level in the Kansas City area for the 2015-16 school year ranged from about $7,200 to over $15,250. Some schools in the area use graduate assistants, which may provide participating doctoral students with tuition waivers or reductions. The following three traditional schools offered the lowest graduate tuition and fees for advanced degrees in the Kansas City area in 2015-16, according to data from the NCES.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City ($7,215 for in-state, $17,045 out-of-state)
- University of Kansas- Edwards Campus ($9,958 in-state, $22,049 out-of-state)
- Rockhurst University ($15,250)
Highest Graduate Rate
Graduation rate is a good indicator of a school's success in successfully getting students through a program in a designated amount of time. While graduate rates are specific to full-time undergraduates, it still provide a valuable metric to prospective graduate students. Graduation rates are calculated by determining the number of students who enrolled in the Fall of 2009 and completed the program within a 6-year time-frame, or 150% of 'normal time.' The following 3 schools had the highest graduation rates near Kansas City:
- Rockhurst University (71% graduation rate)
- University of Kansas- Edwards Campus (61% graduation rate)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (50% graduation rate)
With highly reputable doctoral programs available near Kansas City, students are encouraged to review NCES data and consider topics including: graduation rates, proximity to Kansas City, tuition, and number of graduate students.