Educational Administration Diploma Programs in Richmond, VA

The Richmond area has roughly three colleges offering educational administration programs. To decide which one is a good fit for you, learn about the courses, admission info and program requirements for these schools located within 25 miles of downtown.

View popular schools

Richmond Educational Administration Programs

The Richmond area doesn't offer any diploma (or comparable) educational administration programs at this time; however, students can find advanced program options. The Virginia Board of Education requires that applicants for an endorsement for administration/supervision be licensed teachers with three years of full-time teaching experience and complete a master's degree with practicum hours. This article covers the required coursework for three local schools offering such programs; also included is a table of statistics about each institution.

  • Located about two miles from downtown Richmond, Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) began in 1838 as a medical college and went through a series of mergers to become VCU in 1968. The school offers educational leadership master's degrees, post-master's certificates and doctoral degrees.
  • The University of Richmond (UR) is a small, highly selective liberal arts school and offers a graduate certificate and master's degree in educational leadership. The campus is situated roughly nine miles from the city center.
  • Virginia State University (VSU), located about 25 miles south of Richmond, is a historically black college founded in 1882. It offers master's and doctoral degree programs in educational administration.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Adult Education Administration
  • Community College Education
  • Educational and Curriculum Supervision
  • Educational Leadership
  • Higher Education Administration
  • K thru 8 Administration and Principalship
  • Secondary School Administration
  • Special Education Administration
  • Superintendency Education
  • Urban Education Leadership

Comparison of Schools

This table provides additional information that could further help you decide which university is the right one for you. Find out about student enrollment numbers, tuition rates and more.

Virginia Commonwealth University University of Richmond Virginia State University
School Type 4-year; public 4-year; private not-for-profit 4-year; public
Total Enrollment (2014) 30,848* 4,182* 5,025*
Campus Setting Midsize city Midsize city Large suburb
Graduate Tuition & Fees (2015-2016) $12,779 in-state; $34,002 out-of-state* $23,280* $10,574 in-state; $19,594 out-of-state*

Sources: *NCES College Navigator.

Virginia Commonwealth University

The educational administration programs at VCU are offered through the Department of Educational Leadership. Applicants to the master's and post-master's certificate programs must have a 3.0/4.0 GPA (3.4/4.0 for doctoral candidates) for previous coursework and submit GRE or MAT scores.

Master of Education in Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision

The 33-hour program is comprised of 30 hours of required courses, such as diversity and social justice, evidence-based decision making and research methods, plus a 3-hour elective chosen in consultation with an advisor. Three internship courses are taken over the course of the degree program, which prepares graduates for the Virginia Department of Education's administration/supervision endorsement.

Post Master's Certificate in Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision

This 21-hour program is designed for candidates who already hold a master's degree in teaching and/or education. Along with the three internship courses required in the M.Ed. program, certificate candidates will take courses in leadership for educational change and improvement, schooling as a complex system and enhancing and supporting instruction.

PhD in Education: Educational Leadership

The PhD program with an educational leadership concentration is designed for administrative personnel and is comprised of 48 credits of research and concentration components and electives, chosen in consultation with an advisor. Concentration coursework includes educational administration theory and practice, educational law and school business administration. A 3-credit hour externship and a 9-credit hour dissertation component complete the program coursework. PhD candidates must successfully produce a comprehensive project prior to producing and defending the prospectus and dissertation required for graduation.

University of Richmond

Applicants for the programs offered at UR must have a GPA of 3.3 on all prior coursework and pass an interview with the program director.

Master of Education in Educational Leadership & Policy Studies

The M.Ed. program is comprised of two professional studies components plus field experience. The professional studies components include 30 hours of coursework covering school law, decision-making, fiscal leadership and human resource leadership. All candidates must also complete 320 hours of practicum courses to receive the administration endorsement, which is spread over the core coursework and seven semester hours of reflective leadership seminars. A comprehensive written examination is required for graduation.

Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership & Policy Studies

An earned master's degree is required for application to this 22-semester hour program. Candidates take 15 hours of professional studies core coursework covering communication, foundations of leadership, data for decision making and ethics. Each of these courses requires 30 hours of practicum. The remaining 170 practicum hours required for the administration endorsement are gained during the second of two leadership seminar courses. Degree candidates must pass a comprehensive written exam to graduate.

Virginia State University

The master's programs at VSU lead to the administration endorsement. Candidates must maintain a 3.0/4.0 GPA to continue in the program.

Master of Science or Education: Administration and Supervision

Both degree options require 45 hours of coursework, 200 hours of fieldwork and a 90-day, full-time administrative internship. The MS option involves all coursework plus a thesis; the M.Ed. option requires 42 hours plus a project or 45 hours of courses. Both options require passing oral and written comprehensive exams. Required courses in the program include statistics, research, instruction evaluation, school plant management, finance and curriculum development. VSU offers a non-endorsement option of this program, which requires completion of 39 hours of coursework.

Doctor of Education in Educational Administration and Supervision

Admission requirements for the Ed.D. program include an earned master's degree, three years of administrative experience and a 3.3 GPA in all graduate work. Students perform a 6-hour internship and must pass a progress examination after 18 semester-hours of coursework and a comprehensive exam prior to being beginning dissertation work. Candidates then propose and must successfully produce and defend a dissertation in order to graduate. The program is designed specifically for leadership of PreK-12 public school settings.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

    • Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Behavioral Health
    • Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Higher Education Leadership
    • Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership in - K-12 Leadership
    • EdS in K-12 Leadership
    • M.Ed. in Educational Administration
    • M.Ed. in Educational Leadership
    • M.A. in Communication with an Emphasis in Education
    • M.Ed. in Elementary Education
    • MA in Curriculum and Instruction
    • BS in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
    • Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
    • B.S. in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Christian Education

    What is your highest level of education?

    • MS in Higher Ed - College Administration and Leadership
    • MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
    • MS in Education (for Practicing Teachers Grades K-12)
    • MS in Higher Ed - College Teaching and Learning

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

    • BA/Early Childhood Education Administration

    What is your highest level of education?

    • MS - Instructional Design and Technology
    • Cert - Instructional Design and Technology

    What is your highest level of education?

    • Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Leadership Studies
    • Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
    • Bachelor of Science in Psychology

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education?

    • MS in Education - Special Education and Wilson Reading System Certification
    • MS in Organizational Development and Leadership

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your age?

    • MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration
    • MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership
    • MA in Education and Human Development in Organizational Leadership and Learning

    What is your highest level of education?

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?