Students in the Elgin, IL, area who are seeking a traditional postsecondary education can choose from several private not-for-profit universities and 2-year public colleges. By comparing these institutions, students can more easily choose which school best offers what they are looking for. The provided data is based on information from the National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Elgin, IL
The closest schools to Elgin are 2-year public and 4-year private schools. After the two schools located right in Elgin, the next three closest range from 12 to 15 miles away. Students have a diverse grouping of institutions surrounding the city from which to choose.
- Elgin Community College (Elgin)
- Judson University (Elgin)
- William Rainey Harper College (12.9 miles away in Palatine)
- Wheaton College (15.0 miles away in Wheaton)
- McHenry County College (15.9 miles away in Crystal Lake)
Largest Schools Near Elgin, IL
All of the largest schools near the city were 2-year public schools. These were the largest institutions based on their total student enrollment as of 2015. Most of them had more than 10,000 students.
- College of DuPage (28,678 students)
- William Rainey Harper College (14,532 students)
- Triton College (11,684 students)
- Waubonsee Community College (10,511 students)
- Elgin Community College (10,336 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
To figure out a school's average net price, the NCES subtracts the average financial aid package awarded to students from the average amount of annual attendance cost. Elgin's 2-year schools tended to have lower net prices than the 4-year schools. For 2014-2015, the NCES noted the following schools had the lowest net prices for this part of Illinois, for full-time undergraduates.
- Elgin Community College ($4,332)
- Waubonsee Community College ($4,707)
- Triton College ($5,274)
- Oakton Community College ($5,941)
- McHenry County College ($6,110)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates determined by the NCES typically first look at the amount of students who graduated from their programs within 150% of the 'normal' time. Per data from the NCES for full-time undergraduates who entered into their programs in 2009, these following schools had the highest graduation rates for this region.
- Wheaton College (89% graduation rate)
- North Central College (67% graduation rate)
- Elmhurst College (67% graduation rate)
- Aurora University (56% graduation rate)
- Benedictine University (53% graduation rate)
We've organized a portion of the public and private non-profit schools in Elgin, Illinois, to help you make a better judgement call about which of them might be a good fit for you based on attributes like their sizes and graduation rates.