Engineering Colleges and Universities in Montana with Degree Info

Jul 27, 2019

Research engineering colleges and universities in Montana, which currently has at least six schools offering programs. Read an overview of degree requirements, tuition info and program options for six engineering schools, and decide which one is right for you.

Essential Information

Students in Montana can choose to complete engineering programs leading to associate's, bachelor's, master's or doctoral degrees. Dual programs and those offering students the option to concentrate in a specialty are available. An internship opportunity is offered by at least one of the programs.

Master's degree students typically have the option of choosing a thesis or a non-thesis track, and some master's students are backed financially by their programs to complete research or fieldwork. Students who choose to earn a doctorate in engineering will specialize in a subfield. The six schools profiled below include four with individually accredited degree plans in engineering, as well as two that offer academic transfer programs with pre-engineering coursework.

Carroll College

Carroll College is located in the state capital of Helena, and the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering program is accredited by ABET. Areas of emphasis include environmental engineering, structures, transportation systems, and water resources. The college also offers a major in engineering science, a wide-ranging course of study with topics in computer science, math, and physics.

Students may also opt for a 3-2 program that allows them to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics from Carroll College, as well as a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an affiliated institution. Through the 4-2 program, undergraduates can pursue a bachelor's degree in applied mathematics with a concentration in engineering, after which they may be eligible for a Master of Science at another university. The program is open to both civil engineering and math majors, and graduates have continued their studies at Columbia University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Notre Dame. Currently, the Carroll College engineering faculty is composed of six members, and the school offers opportunities for internships and research.

Dawson Community College

This community college in Glendive offers 60-credit academic transfer plans that lead to either an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science. Degree requirements include 34 credits of general education and nine credits of concentrated coursework in engineering, math, and science.

In particular, students can take courses in engineering calculations and mechanics, computer-aided and technical drafting, calculus and physics. Through articulation agreements, qualified undergraduates may be eligible for transfer to Montana State University in Bozeman or Montana Tech in Butte (University of Montana). Dawson also offers an Associate of Applied Science in Engineering Technology program that can help prepare students for careers in construction, oil, and engineering. Degree requirements include an internship and courses in basic engineering, computer applications, electricity and project management.

Little Big Horn College

Students at the Crow Agency's Little Big Horn College can pursue an academic transfer program in mathematics with a pre-engineering option. Core requirements include Crow cultural and language studies, as well as general education courses in diversity, the humanities, and science. Students also receive an introduction to calculus, computer science, and programming. To fulfill the elective requirements, aspiring engineers can choose topics in geology, natural resources, and soils.

Montana State University - Bozeman

Through the College of Engineering at Montana State University in Bozeman, undergraduates can pursue an ABET-accredited Bachelor of Science program in one of nine different areas. These include chemical, civil, electrical or mechanical engineering. Although degree requirements can vary, students in the mechanical engineering program complete two-and-a-half years of general education courses. As juniors and seniors, they also work on real-life prototypes and have the chance to learn about aircraft structures, fluid mechanics and machine design.

Requirements for the Master of Science programs include a professional paper or a thesis. Outside of the college's five departments, students can earn a Doctor of Philosophy with a specialization in one of seven areas, including environmental or industrial engineering, applied mechanics or computer science.

Special school features include an above-average passing rate on the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, active research programs and the opportunity to participate in designing and building teams. The university also serves as home to the Center for Biofilm Engineering and the Optical Technology Center.

Montana State University-Northern

Montana State University in Havre offers just one ABET-accredited program, a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering Technology. In addition to senior projects, the requirements include courses in engineering economics and mechanics, concrete and highway design, structural analysis and technical graphics. Non-accredited programs include a 65-credit Associate of Applied Science in Civil Engineering Technology that provides students with the skills they need to work in engineering or surveying support positions.

Montana Technological University

The School of Mines and Engineering in Butte offers Bachelor of Science and Master of Science programs in nine different disciplines, including environmental, general, geophysical and petroleum engineering. Aside from the Bachelor of Science in Safety, Health and Industrial Hygiene, all of the undergraduate programs are accredited by ABET.

Along with the programs mentioned above, students in the general engineering program can pursue a specialized major in civil, mechanical or welding engineering. Most of the nine Master of Science programs allow students to choose either a thesis or non-thesis option.

Relevant facilities include the Center for Advanced Mineral and Metallurgical Processing, as well as the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology. Unique to the school are three undergraduate research programs. The traditional program provides students with a $1,500 stipend for field or laboratory work in engineering or science.

Career Requirements

Professional engineers in Montana must be licensed by the state's Board of Professional Engineers and Professional Surveyors. The requirements include satisfactory scores on two tests administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying. Candidates must also submit five references, including three from professionals in the field. Students can meet the academic requirements by completing a 4-year program in engineering or engineering technology that's accredited by ABET. Qualified graduates must also acquire four years of supervised engineering experience.

School Comparison: At a Glance

School Name School Type and Setting Engineering Programs Offered Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2018-2019)
Carroll College 4-year, private not-for-profit; remote town Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering,
Bachelor of Science in Engineering Science
Dawson Community College 2-year, public; remote town Associate of Applied Science in Engineering Technology,
Associate of Arts (transfer plan),
Associate of Science (transfer plan)
$3,720 in-district;
$5,250 in-state;
$7,770 out-of-state*
Little Big Horn College 2-year, public; rural Associate of Science in Mathematics (pre-engineering option) $3,200*
Montana State University - Bozeman 4-year, public; remote town Bachelor of Science,
Master of Engineering,
Master of Science,
Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering
$7,277 in-state; $24,993 out-of-state (undergraduate)*
$6,559 in-state; $19,629 out-of-state (graduate)*
Montana State University - Northern 4-year, public; remote town Associate of Applied Science in Civil Engineering Technology,
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering Technology
$5,955 in-state;
$18,665 out-of-state*
Montana Technological University 4-year, public; remote town Bachelor of Science,
Master of Science
$7,412 in-state;
$22,575 out-of-state*

Source: *NCES College Navigator

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?