With the field of engineering having so many specializations, top schools tend to offer programs in a wide variety of disciplines. The following schools include options to satisfy most any engineering student's particular interests.
The schools listed in this section offer superior training for aspiring engineers in a number of differ subareas and specializations. They have also earn high ratings from U.S. News & World Report for either their undergraduate or graduate engineering programs - or both.
Top engineering programs can be found at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University and the Georgia Institute of Technology. All three schools offer both undergraduate and graduate programs in a variety of engineering specialties, including aerospace, civil and electrical engineering.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge
|School Highlight: MIT is conducting new research in driverless trucks.|
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is a 4-year private school that enjoys high rankings from U.S. News & World Report for its business, computer science, physics and math programs. For 2017, USN&WR ranked MIT's College of Engineering first among the best engineering schools in the nation at the both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The school offers programs in many engineering specialties, such as astronautics, civil and environmental engineering, materials science, biological engineering and chemical engineering.
Stanford University in Stanford, CA
|School Highlight: The Stanford Technology Ventures Program offers entrepreneurship education to engineering students.|
In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Stanford's undergraduate and graduate engineering programs as the 2nd-best in the country for their respective categories. Stanford University is a 4-year private school with a School of Engineering that houses nine departments, including chemical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science and mechanical engineering.
Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta
|School Highlight: In 2016, Georgia Tech ranked first in Diverse: Issues in Higher Education's list of schools conferring the most undergraduate engineering degrees to minority students.|
The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) is a 4-year public school with an undergraduate engineering program that ranked tied for fourth in the country according to U.S. News & World Report for 2017. Students can choose from more than 50 degree programs, including nuclear and radiological engineering, biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering and computer science. COE offers several international opportunities in Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
Top Engineering Programs
Below we discuss a few other top schools that offer opportunities for aspiring engineers.
- Harvey Mudd College, found in Claremont, CA, is ranked as the second best undergraduate engineering program among schools without doctoral programs by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
- Princeton University in Princeton, NJ, has an Aspire Campaign that strives to expand and develop Princeton's engineering research and education initiatives.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY, offers 11 different engineering degrees.
- The United States Military Academy, located in West Point, NY, has an Electronic Experimenters' Club that provides free equipment and faculty mentoring to students interested in creating their own electronic equipment.
- University of California - Berkeley has Berkeley Engineers and Mentors, a student-run organization that provides coordinated engineering mentoring and outreach to local schools.
- The University of Colorado in Boulder, CO, takes part in the Colorado Space Grant Consortium, a NASA-funded aerospace engineering education and outreach program for college students in Colorado.
- University of Wisconsin in Madison, WI, ranked seventh for its undergraduate chemical engineering program, according to U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Students with aspirations of becoming engineers have a lot of decisions to make, including what specialization they want to go into and what schools to apply to. These are only a few of the schools in the country that offer top-rated programs for engineers in various areas.