Environmental studies programs are available at the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral level. A typical bachelor's program in environmental studies includes interdisciplinary instruction in areas like ecology, politics, economics and law.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Energy Management Technologies
- Environmental Engineering Technologies
- Environmental Health Engineering
- Hazardous Materials and Waste Mgmt. Technologies
- Heating, Venting, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration
- Solar Energy Technologies
- Water Quality and Treatment Technologies
Top Environmental Studies Schools
Below are some of the best schools with programs in environmental studies.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-6)*|
|University of California-Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$13,431 in-state, $38,139 out-of-state|
|Harvard University||Cambridge, MA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Postgraduate Certificate||$45,278|
|Duke University||Durham, NC||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$49,241|
|University of Washington||multiple locations in WA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$11,839 in-state, $34,143 out-of-state (for Seattle campus)|
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$47,600|
|University of California-Santa Barbara||Santa Barbara, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$13,968 in-state, $38,676 out-of-state|
|Stanford University||Stanford, CA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$46,320|
|Princeton University||Princeton, NJ||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$43,450|
|University of California - Davis||Davis, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate||$13,951 in-state, $38,659 out-of-state|
|Cornell University||Ithaca, NY||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$49,116|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
School Selection Criteria
When choosing a school for environmental studies, students should first evaluate available degree programs. Further considerations include:
- While undergraduate degrees in environmental studies may be awarded as Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Art or Bachelor of Environmental Studies, the distinction is largely based on institutional bureaucracy rather than differing curriculum.
- Look at specializations a school has, such as environmental policy, ethics and law.
- Students may consider pursuing a master's degree to qualify for advanced careers.
- If looking for a Ph.D. program, it ought to include original research opportunities or teaching in the field.
Several schools offer rigorous environmental studies programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. However, not all of these schools offer graduate programs or hands-on experience opportunities - two valuable considerations when selecting a school.