Online Esthetics Courses
The following are some courses that could be offered online in an esthetics program.
- Skin Care Course: This online course will address skin physiology, skin analysis techniques and types of skin conditions.
- Nail Care Course: Essentially covers manicuring and pedicuring techniques as well as artificial nail application.
- Hair Care Course: Hair cutting and styling are typically addressed in this type of online course. You can learn about shampooing, conditioning and hair coloring.
- Makeup Application Course: An online course that reviews application techniques, product ingredients and safety practices. Student learn about false eyelash application, brow tinting and color theory.
- Body Treatments Course: Reviews techniques and methods for body wraps, masks and scrubs.
- Hair Removal Course: This course explores the various methods of hair removal. Students may learn about growth cycles, equipment use and client consultation.
- Computer Skills for Salon and Spa Course: The focus of this course is on the software used to operate a salon. Topics include booking appointments and tracking financial records.
Traditional and medical estheticians are licensed skin care specialists who train at cosmetology schools. The improvement and maintenance of skin appearance is the focus of traditional estheticians. These goals are accomplished through pore extraction, massage, facials, exfoliation, moisturizing, toning and masking.
Medical estheticians specialize in the skin care of individuals who have undergone surgery or whose appearance may have been affected by some trauma, such as a car accident or fire. The tasks of medical estheticians may include applying makeup to burn-recovery and chemotherapy patients, exfoliating a patient in a dermatologist's office and performing preoperative and postoperative skin care treatment.
Esthetics classes are offered online for the traditional and medical specialties; however, because esthetics requires a vast amount of hands-on training, online courses generally focus on license renewal or continuing education. The few esthetics classes that are online are geared more toward instruction in the fundamental principles than in actual practice. The theory and skills training prepares graduates to pass the written state-licensing exam, which is necessary to practice as an esthetician.
While esthetics classes are more commonly offered in-person, some online and hybrid options are available that cover fundamentals. Students will study topics that include the day-to-day operations of running a salon, skin care and hair removal.