Prospective college students residing in or near Fairmont, WV, can attend 4-year universities, vocational schools, community colleges, technical institutes, beauty schools and more. We will train our sights on the more traditional colleges and universities that offer a variety of programs in the Fairmont region with information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Fairmont, West Virginia
The closest schools to Fairmont are mostly 2-year institutions. Many of these schools are private, but there are some 2-year and 4-year public options as well.
- Fairmont State University (located downtown)
- Pierpont Community and Technical College (located downtown)
- West Virginia University (13.6 miles from downtown)
- West Virginia Junior College-Bridgeport (14 miles from downtown)
- West Virginia Junior College-Morgantown (15.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Fairmont, West Virginia
Students looking for large institutions can find a couple options near Fairmont. The largest schools are public institutions, and a few of these offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- West Virginia University (28,776 students)
- Fairmont State University (4,041 students)
- Pierpont Community and Technical College (2,182 students)
- Alderson Broaddus University (1,154 students)
- West Virginia Junior College-Morgantown (428 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates schools' net prices and publishes those numbers on its College Navigator. The most recent year for which it has calculated these numbers is the 2014-2015 school year. The NCES calculates these figures by subtracting the average amount of financial aid awarded to full-time undergrad students attending a school from the total cost to attend the school. All of the schools in the Fairmont area had net prices less than $20,000 for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Pierpont Community and Technical College ($8,872)
- Fairmont State University ($8,897)
- West Virginia University ($10,405)
- West Virginia Junior College-Bridgeport ($11,808)
- West Virginia Junior College-Morgantown ($15,630)
Highest Graduation Rates
A school's overall graduation rate is calculated by determining the number of beginning, full-time undergraduate students who complete their programs within 150% of the normal time allotted for that program. An example of '150% of normal time' is six years for a bachelor's degree program. For 2015, the schools with graduation numbers above 50% are located no more than 15 miles away from Fairmont.
- West Virginia University (57% graduation rate)
- West Virginia Junior College-Bridgeport (57% graduation rate)
- West Virginia Junior College-Morgantown (53% graduation rate)
- Alderson Broaddus University (38% graduation rate)
- Fairmont State University (31% graduation rate)
The Fairmont, WV, area offers students only a handful of traditional schools to choose from, but there are some options to look at including Fairmont State University that is in close proximity, has a low net price and large student enrollment.