Students who are passionate about using exercise to promote health and wellness may be interested in majoring in fitness studies. Graduating with a bachelor's degree from a well-respected university can make aspiring professionals more competitive for employment at fitness institutions, and it can demonstrate competency to potential individual clients.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science
- Physical Education and Health
- Sport and Fitness Management
- Sports Medicine
Top 10 Schools for Fitness Majors
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered*||Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2015-2016)**|
|Arizona State University||Tempe, AZ||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$10,158 (in-state), $25,458 (out-of-state)|
|Ohio State University||Columbus, OH||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$10,037 (in-state), $27,365 (out-of-state)|
|University of Florida||Gainesville, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$6,381 (in-state), $28,659 (out-of-state)|
|University of Minnesota - Twin Cities||Minneapolis, MN||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$13,790 (in-state), $22,210 (out-of-state)|
|The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, TX||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$9,806 (in-state), $34,676 (out-of-state)|
|University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$13,486 (in-state), $43,676 (out-of-state)|
|University of Georgia||Athens, GA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$11,622 (in-state), $29,832 (out-of-state)|
|The University of Tennessee||Knoxville, TN||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$12,436 (in-state), $30,856 (out-of-state)|
|University of Iowa||Iowa City, IA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$8,104 (in-state), $27,890 (out-of-state)|
|West Virginia University||Morgantown, WV||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$7,621 (in-state), $21,432 (out-of-state)|
Sources: *School websites, **National Center for Education Statistics
School Selection Criteria
Degree programs in fitness studies vary considerably between schools. These are some things to keep in mind when choosing between them:
- These programs may be highly interdisciplinary, integrating studies in fitness, nutrition and wellness, or they may focus particularly on exercise physiology. Students may choose between them based on their particular interests.
- Different programs prepare students for different careers. Some focus more heavily on scientific principles for future researchers, while others are designed to prepare students for jobs in education.
- Programs may offer a variety of specialization options. Students who want to focus their studies in a particular area may look for a program with a concentration in that subject.
- Master's degree programs may offer thesis and non-thesis tracks. It is important for prospective students to consider which best fits their educational needs and career goals.
Many of the nation's top universities offer fitness studies programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Because they differ in their areas of academic focus, prospective students must carefully consider their options when choosing between them.