In addition to vocational and specialty schools, Gainesville, FL, is home to a few public and private not-for-profit colleges and universities. Students interested in pursuing their postsecondary education in this city could find it useful to see how these institutions compare in certain categories to help them choose which school is best for them. The following statistics were all pulled from the National Center for Education Statistics.
Schools Closest to Gainesville, Florida
There are only 3 traditional schools in Gainesville, and students would be required to drive nearly 40 miles to reach the next closest traditional school. Below are the 5 closest schools to Gainesville, all of which are 4-year institutions, but are a mix of public and privately-owned:
- University of Florida (2.4 miles from downtown)
- City College-Gainesville (6.4 miles from downtown)
- Santa Fe College (6.9 miles from downtown)
- College of Central Florida (34.9 miles from downtown)
- Rasmussen College-Florida (34.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Gainesville, Florida
The 5 largest schools near Gainesville range from just under 7,400 students to 50,700 total students. These schools are also a mix of private and public institutions. Here is a list of the 5 largest schools near Gainesville:
- University of Florida (50,645 total students)
- Santa Fe College (14,767 total students)
- Saint Johns River State College (7,091 students)
- College of Central Florida (7,452 total students)
- Rasmussen College-Florida (7,367 total students)
Lowest Net Price
A college's net cost is calculated by subtracting the average amount of financial aid that full-time undergraduate students receive from the total cost of attendance. Most colleges near Gainesville had net prices below $21,000. The NCES' data showed that during the 2014-2015 academic year, the five colleges below had the lowest net costs in Gainesville.
- College of Central Florida ($6,746)
- Saint Johns River State College ($7,112)
- Santa Fe College ($7,436)
- University of Florida ($14,610)
- Rasmussen College-Florida ($17,191)
Highest Graduation Rate
One way to determine the success rate of a particular college is to look at the school's overall graduation rate. The NCES determines this rate by examining the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who graduate from their degree programs within 150% of normal time (e.g., six years for a bachelor's degree). Graduation rates in the Gainesville area range from below 35% to above 85%. The colleges below have the highest graduation rates of the schools in Gainesville, according to the NCES.
- University of Florida (87% graduation rate)
- Santa Fe College (59% graduation rate)
- City College-Gainesville (56% graduation rate)
- College of Central Florida (39% graduation rate)
- Saint Johns River State College (36% graduation rate)
Armed with detailed, data-driven knowledge about location, cost, graduation rate, and size, prospective students near Gainesville are ready to make an informed and confident college selection.