Students who seek an education in or around Galveston can choose among a variety of 2-year or 4-year institutions. The information in this article draws on information found in the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) and compares schools in several categories.
Closest Schools to Galveston, Texas
The majority of schools that are close to Galveston are public institutions. All of the schools near downtown offer undergraduate degree programs, and one school, the University of Houston-Clear Lake, offers graduate level programs as well.
- Galveston College (located downtown)
- College of the Mainland (13.1 miles from downtown)
- University of Houston-Clear Lake (25.5 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Webster (26.8 miles from downtown)
- Alvin Community College (28.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Galveston, Texas
The largest schools near Galveston are 2-year public schools. This includes several community colleges. Overall, the traditional schools within 35 miles of Galveston range from student populations of around 350 up to almost 28,000 students.
- San Jacinto Community College (27,911 students)
- University of Houston-Clear Lake (8,665 students)
- Lee College (6,481 students)
- Alvin Community College (4,837 students)
- College of the Mainland (3,858 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The traditional schools near Galveston with the lowest net prices had figures less than $8,000 during the 2014-2015 school year. NCES determines a school's net price by subtracting the average financial aid award given to full-time undergraduate students from the total cost to attend the school. The following net prices came from NCES for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- College of the Mainland ($3,489)
- Galveston College ($4,655)
- Alvin Community College ($5,534)
- Lee College ($7,622)
- San Jacinto Community College ($7,677)
Highest Graduation Rates
NCES calculates schools' overall graduation rates by determining the number of full-time undergraduate students who complete their chosen programs within 150% of the time allotted for that program's completion. For the following schools near Galveston, rates are for students who began in fall 2012 (except ITT, whose figures are for students who began their coursework in fall 2009); graduation rates are all lower than 50%.
- ITT Technical Institute-Webster (43% graduation rate)
- Lee College (24% graduation rate)
- Galveston College (23% graduation rate)
- Alvin Community College (21% graduation rate)
- San Jacinto Community College (19% graduation rate)
The Galveston, TX, area offers mostly 2-year, public schools with undergraduate degree programs that can be compared by location, size, price, and graduation rates.