Gary, Indiana, and the nearby area is home to about six public and private not-for-profit schools that offer a variety of educational opportunities. Students can choose among colleges and universities that offer degrees ranging from the associate's to the master's level. The schools have been organized into separate categories based on data from the National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Gary, IN
The closest schools to Gary, Indiana, are 2-year and 4-year public colleges. Additionally, there are also 4-year private schools within 15 miles.
- Ivy Tech Community College-Northwest (3.9 miles from downtown Gary)
- Indiana University-Northwest (4.3 miles from downtown Gary)
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (6.0 miles away in Hammond)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (9.9 miles away in Whiting)
- Valparaiso University (15.6 miles away in Valparaiso)
Largest Schools Near Gary, IN
The largest institutions near Gary were mostly 4-year public schools as of 2015. At these colleges, students can work towards undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The following schools had the largest student populations:
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (9,301 students)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (6,158 students)
- Indiana University-Northwest (5,848 students)
- Valparaiso University (4,524 students)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (1,100 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates a school's net price by taking the total cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, books, room and board, and subtracting the amount of governmental or institutional financial aid an average student receives. Average net prices at mainstream schools in the Gary area ranged from nearly $7,000 to more than $20,000. The following were the colleges in the Gary area with the lowest net prices. The figures are provided by the NCES for the 2014-2015 academic year for full-time undergraduate students.
- Indiana University-Northwest ($6,992)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus ($7,460)
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus ($10,445)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph ($11,218)
- Valparaiso University ($22,136)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES calculates a college's overall graduation rate by figuring the percentage of students who completed a program within 150% of the 'normal' time (6 years for a bachelor's degree, for example). The following rates come from NCES statistics and are for students who began their college educations in the fall of 2009, as full-time undergraduates.
- Valparaiso University (67% graduation rate)
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (32% graduation rate)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (32% graduation rate)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (26% graduation rate)
- Indiana University-Northwest (24% graduation rate)
The public and private non-profit schools in the area of Gary, Indiana, have been organized into four separate categories to help you make an informed decision about which ones might be best suited to your needs.