GED in Spanish: Information on Taking the GED Test in Spanish

Those who wish to take the GED in Spanish should contact a local testing center to see if and where the test is offered. An additional ESL exam is often required of those who take the GED in Spanish. View article »

View 10 Popular Schools »

An error occurred trying to load this video.

Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support.

94% college-bound high school students
…said it was important to communicate with colleges during the search process. (Source: Noel-Levitz 2012 trend study)

Select a school or program

View More Schools
Show Me Schools
 Replay
  • 0:04 Can I Take the GED in Spanish?
  • 0:53 GED ESL Exam
  • 1:47 Should You Take the ESL Test?

Find the perfect school

Video Transcript

Can I Take the GED in Spanish?

The GED is currently offered in three languages: English, Spanish, and French. Many people take the GED in Spanish every year. However, individuals taking the test in a language other than English may be required to take an additional ESL (English as a second language) test. Whether or not a person is required to take the ESL test is determined by the state education board that administers the GED exam.

While many testing centers administer the exam in Spanish, some do not. Candidates should contact their local testing center to see if the Spanish version of the GED is available. If the GED isn't offered in Spanish at a particular testing center, you'll be directed to a testing center that does offer the Spanish version.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • African Languages
  • American Indian Languages
  • Arabic Language
  • Biblical Languages
  • Celtic Languages and Literature
  • Chinese Language
  • Czech Language
  • Danish Language
  • Dutch and Flemish Language
  • Filipino and Tagalog Language
  • French Language
  • German Language
  • Greek Language - Classical
  • Greek Language - Modern
  • Hebrew Language
  • Indian Languages - Classical
  • Iranian and Persian Languages
  • Italian Language
  • Japanese Language
  • Korean Language
  • Latin Language
  • Norwegian Language
  • Polish Language
  • Portuguese Language
  • Romanian Language
  • Russian Language
  • Scandinavian Languages
  • Spanish Language and Literature
  • Swedish Language

GED ESL Exam

The ESL exam focuses on situations an English speaker would likely encounter on a day-to-day basis. Questions combine forms, charts, advertisements, fliers, and schedules. Common topics include employment, child care, personal health, employee information, and consumer information. Education topics are also frequently encountered on the test.

Approximately 75% of the test questions involve literacy, requiring test takers to read a passage of text and report information. Answers for these questions are found in the original passage. Interpretive questions, which make up the remaining 25% of the exam, require test takers to read a passage and reach a conclusion about the passage. For instance, test takers may be asked to reflect on a passage's main idea, word usage, or intended audience.

Should You Take the ESL Test?

Not all state educational boards require you to take the ESL Exam in addition to the GED in Spanish. However, the GED Testing Service, a program of the American Council on Education, recommends that any non-English speaking person who takes the GED in Spanish should also take the ESL exam. A passing score on the ESL exam demonstrates a certain level of fluency in English, which may qualify the tester for an English-language credential in some states. This can often increase employment and college admissions prospects.

Need help preparing for the GED? Check out Study.com's GED Test Prep study guides, complete with bite-size video lessons, practice tests, informational resources, and more to make sure you ace the exam!

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?