GED Practice Test Information and Resources on the Internet

While there are several ways to take a GED practice test online, the American Council on Education GED Testing Service offers an official service. This test can be found on the company's website and taken for free.

View popular schools

Take GED Practice Tests Online

Several resources can help test takers prepare for the GED and the practice test, including those offered by the GED Testing Service, DCS GED prep online, and Kentucky Educational Television (KET). KET offers videos, workbooks and online learning programs. DCS offers a self-paced review with sample questions. The GED Testing Service offers practice questions and test information. The practice tests are available in English and Spanish versions, and each section of the test can be practiced individually.

GED Test Requirements

Each state has its own requirements for GED exam eligibility. The GED Testing Service website provides links to specific state requirements. Most states require the test taker to be at least 18 years old and not currently enrolled in, or have graduated from, high school. While there are exceptions for 16 and 17 year old test takers, state requirements vary.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Agriculture
  • Architecture
  • Biological and Biomedical Sciences
  • Business
  • Communications and Journalism
  • Computer Sciences
  • Culinary Arts and Personal Services
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Legal
  • Liberal Arts and Humanities
  • Mechanic and Repair Technologies
  • Medical and Health Professions
  • Physical Sciences
  • Psychology
  • Transportation and Distribution
  • Visual and Performing Arts

What to Expect From the Test

There are four sections on the GED, which includes reasoning through language arts, mathematical reasoning, science and social studies. Sections are between 70 and 150 minutes long and consist mostly of multiple choice questions, though they can also consist of drag and drop, fill in the blank and long and short essay answers. To pass the test, test takers must achieve a minimum score of 145 on each of the four sections, with a total score of 580.

Reasoning Through Language Arts

This test is broken down into three sections. Roughly, 75% of the texts in this section are informational, with the remaining 25% literature. In addition to reading comprehension, this test addresses grammar, punctuation, usage and capitalization skills. This test has an extended response portion.

Mathematical Reasoning

This section is broken up into two parts, one of which allows use of a Texas Instruments TI-30 Multiview scientific calculator provided by the test center. The test focuses on both fundamental and more complex mathematical problems. The test includes multiple choice, fill in the blank, hot spot and drag-and-drop answer formats with 45% of the questions on quantitative and 55% on algebraic problems. There are four categories covering:

  • Number operations and number sense
  • Data analysis, probability and statistics
  • Algebra, patterns and functions
  • Measurement and geometry

Science

The questions in this section ask test takers about earth and space science, physical science and life science. Life science questions make up 40% of the questions, with another 40% focusing on physical sciences. Earth and space science questions account for 20%. The science test consists of a single section.

Social Studies

American history (20%), civics and government (50%), geography (15%), and economics (15%) are covered in the social studies section. Like previous sections, this section consists of multiple choice, hot spot, drag-and-drop, fill in the blank and two short answer questions. There is one section to this test.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?