Prospective college students living in and around Glen Allen, Virginia, can choose from a variety of postsecondary options, including for-profit universities, beauty schools, community colleges and health career training centers. For the benefit of those students seeking a traditional college experience, we turn our attention solely to the traditional institutions in the Glen Allen region. We compare and contrast these colleges and universities, based on data reported by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Glen Allen, Virginia
The closest schools to Glen Allen tend to be 4-year institutions. As such, several of these schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Strayer University-Henrico Campus (located downtown)
- ECPI University-Innsbrook (4.7 miles from downtown)
- South University-Richmond (4.7 miles from downtown)
- University of Phoenix-Virginia (4.7 miles from downtown)
- Randolph-Macon College (6.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Glen Allen, Virginia
The largest schools near Glen Allen are primarily private institutions, but there are a couple of large public schools. Student populations throughout the area range from less than 100 students to more than 10,000 students.
- Virginia Commonwealth University (30,848 students)
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College (11,861 students)
- University of Richmond (4,182 students)
- Virginia Union University (1,715 students)
- Randolph-Macon College (1,394 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates the net cost of a school by analyzing the difference between the net cost of tuition, books, living expenses and supplies and the average amount of financial aid received by each full-time undergraduate student. The Glen Allen region includes schools that range in net price from around $7,000 per year to close to $26,000 per year, per the NCES for 2014-2015.
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College ($7,151)
- University of Phoenix-Virginia ($15,117)
- Bryant & Stratton College-Richmond ($16,209)
- Virginia College-Richmond ($18,389)
- Virginia Union University ($18,731)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES measures an institution's graduation rate by taking a look at the number of full-time undergraduates who complete their studies within 150% of 'normal time'. That is to say, if a bachelor's degree 'normally' takes four-years to obtain, the overall graduation rate expresses the percentage of students who complete their degree within six years' time. Most traditional schools near Glen Allen had graduation rates less than 50% for 2015.
- University of Richmond (88% graduation rate)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (62% graduation rate)
- Randolph-Macon College (58% graduation rate)
- Virginia College-Richmond (46% graduation rate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Richmond (36% graduation rate)
The Glen Allen, VA, area is home to 2-year and 4-year institutions that have an array of graduation rates, average prices, student populations, and locations for interested students.