Of the two public and private schools with graduate programs available in Charleston, SC, learn which one offers the lowest net price, is closest to the downtown area, has the highest graduation rates, and has the largest student population, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to Charleston, SC
One college is right in the downtown area, located less than half a mile from the city center. The other option is located significantly further from the downtown area, so students should consider how important location is to them in a school selection.
- College of Charleston (located downtown)
- Charleston Southern University (10.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Charleston, South Carolina
The school with the largest overall population had more than 10,000 students enrolled in 2015-2016. Of that population, however, only 1,063 of them were graduate students. The other option in the area has a much smaller overall and graduate student population.
- College of Charleston (11,531 total students, 1,063 graduate students)
- Charleston Southern University (3,621 total students, 440 graduate students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Schools with the Lowest Average Graduate Tuition
As different graduate programs can vary in length and specific credit requirements, the NCES calculates the average tuition cost for graduate students per year. There is also a 'fees' section that is separate from tuition cost. The two schools in the area have very different average graduate tuition costs for the 2015-2016 academic year, so prospective student should consider their budgets in their selection. These rates reflect the costs for in-state graduate students.
- College of Charleston ($70 tuition, $12,380 fees)
- Charleston Southern University ($7,500 tuition, $40 fees)
Schools with Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES lists the overall graduation rates for full-time, first-degree students, so these figures are not specific to graduate student graduation rates. The following data is from students enrolled in 2009 and is based on 150% of the 'normal' time it takes to complete a program. The two schools in the area represent very different graduation rates.
- College of Charleston (68% graduation rate)
- Charleston Southern University (39% graduation rate)
In searching for a graduate school in Charleston, SC, students can consider location, cost, student population size, and graduation rates in the two options in the area to make an informed decision about their education.