Prospective college students can find multiple postsecondary schools in and around Greensboro, NC, including vocational institutions, community colleges and four-year universities. To assist students looking for a school that best fits their needs, review data from the National Center of Education Statistics (NCES) in various categories including location, size, price, and graduation rate.
Schools Closest to Greensboro, North Carolina
For students valuing the experience of attending a school in a city, Greensboro has several options in the downtown area and within walking distance. Below is a list of the 5 schools closest to Greensboro, all of which are less than 4 miles away from the downtown.
- Bennett College (downtown Greensboro)
- Greensboro College (downtown Greensboro)
- North Carolina A & T State University (0.4 miles away)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro (1.3 miles away)
- Virginia College-Greensboro (3.7 miles away)
Largest Schools near Greensboro, North Carolina
Many students prioritize the experience of attending a large school, and Greensboro has several moderate-sized schools to choose from. Three schools in the area have over 10,000 students and one of those three has nearly 20,000.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro (19,393 total students)
- Guilford Technical Community College (11,518 total students)
- North Carolina A & T State University (10,852 total students)
- Elon University (6,631 total students)
- Alamance Community College (4,531 total students)
Lowest Net Price
Finding the right college program is important, but for most students the cost of completing that program is also a major issue. The following schools have the most reasonable net prices of the compared institutions, according to 2014-2015 data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). The net price is calculated by subtracting the average amount of financial aid full-time undergraduates receive from the average total undergraduate expenses per student.
- Davidson County Community College ($6,829)
- Rockingham Community College ($7,225)
- Randolph Community College ($8,581)
- North Carolina A & T State University ($8,589)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro ($9,875)
The NCES collects data on the number of students who graduate from colleges and universities; specifically, the graduation rate focuses on full-time undergraduate students who began working towards their first degree or certificate in Fall 2009 and completed within 150% of normal time (e.g., six years or less for a bachelor's degree). Based on the NCES stats, the following 5 schools have the highest graduate rates near Greensboro:
- Elon University (83% graduation rate)
- Salem College (60% graduation rate)
- Guilford College (59% graduation rate)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro (56% graduation rate)
- North Carolina A & T State University (44% graduation rate)
Greensboro has many appealing characteristics for prospective students and it would be valuable to the college search to evaluate categories such as graduation rate, price, student population, and proximity to Greensboro.