Students interested in studying near Gulfport, MS, will find that there are a limited number of schools in the area, two of which are cosmetology schools. Using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), we will look at the three other schools available and compare them based on proximity to Gulfport, student population, program availability, and tuition costs.
Schools Closest to Gulfport, MS
If close proximity to Gulfport is important to you, you are in luck, as the schools available in this region are located less than 10 miles from the city.
- Blue Cliff College (5.9 miles)
- Miller-Motte Technical College (5.9 miles)
- Virginia College-Biloxi (9.6 miles)
Largest Schools near Gulfport, MS
In Gulfport, you will find that all of the schools have small student populations. If you prefer smaller student bodies, these schools might be good options:
- Blue Cliff College (354 students)
- Virginia College-Biloxi (313 students)
- Miller-Motte Technical College (70 students)
Due to the limited number of schools in Gulfport, you can expect there to be a limited number of degree programs available. Depending on what your intended field of study is, this may influence your decision to study in Gulfport. Below are the degree programs offered from each school:
- Health Professions (Blue Cliff, Miller-Motte, and Virginia College)
- Personal/Culinary Services (Blue Cliff College and Virginia College)
- Business (Virginia College)
- Computer and Information Sciences (Virginia College)
- Truck and Bus Driver Certificate Program (Miller-Motte Technical College)
Lowest Net Price
The net price results from subtracting grant or scholarship aid offered to full-time undergraduate students by the government or institution from the cost of attendance. According to the NCES, the net price for all the schools in or near Gulfport ranges from $12,000 to $25,000 for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Virginia College-Biloxi ($18,659)
- Miller-Motte Technical College ($22,504)
- Blue Cliff College ($24,874)
Highest Graduation Rates
The graduation rates for traditional schools in the Gulfport area ranged from 21%-50%, according to the NCES. These rates were based on full-time, undergraduate students who graduated from a program within 150% of normal graduation time; this is three years for an associate's degree.
- Blue Cliff College (50%)
- Virginia College-Biloxi (30%)
- Miller-Motte Technical College (21%)
To summarize, you have very few options available in Gulfport, MS. However, if you are interested in attending a small college and want to pursue either an associate's degree or 1 or 2-year certificate program in health professions or culinary services, you may find the school selections a good fit.