There are quite a few postsecondary training options located near Hammond, IN, including for-profit universities, religious vocational schools and community colleges, among others. For the benefit of the average aspiring student looking for the traditional college experience, we compared and contrasted these traditional institutions with data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Hammond, Indiana
Students looking to attend school close to Hammond, IN, have a fairly even choice between public and private institutions. A few of these schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (3.4 miles from downtown)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (4.4 miles from downtown)
- Indiana University-Northwest (8.8 miles from downtown)
- Ivy Tech Community College-Northwest (10.6 miles from downtown)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville (11.5 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Hammond, Indiana
The larger schools near Hammond are almost entirely 4-year institutions. Overall, the area does offer schools with fewer than 100 students up to schools with more than 1,000 students.
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (9,501 students)
- Indiana University-Northwest (6,052 students)
- Valparaiso University (4,507 students)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (1,072 students)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville (512 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Both 2-year (or less) and 4-year schools near Hammond, Indiana, are represented among schools with the lowest net price during the 2014-2015 school year, based on data reported by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). The net price is determined by subtracting the average financial aid a full-time undergraduate receives from the total cost of attendance for a particular school. Here are some of the traditional schools with the lowest net prices in the area.
- Indiana University-Northwest ($6,992)
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus ($10,445)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph ($11,218)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville ($17,818)
- DeVry University-Indiana ($21,824)
Highest Graduation Rates
A school's overall graduation rate reports the proportion of full-time, beginning undergraduate students who complete their programs within 150% of the normal time allotted for that program. Near Hammond, the graduation rates of all schools (including specialty schools) ranged from 3% to 70% for 2015. All of the figures below were provided by the NCES.
- Valparaiso University (67% graduation rate)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville (38% graduation rate)
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (32% graduation rate)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (32% graduation rate)
- Indiana University-Northwest (24% graduation rate)
The Hammond, IN, area is home to multiple private and public institutions that offer students a wide array of choices in graduation rates, price, size, and location.