The schools located in Harrisonburg, VA, and its surrounding area offer a unique variety of learning experiences. Students can choose among schools that offer associate's degrees and certificates, as well as private and public 4-year schools. The information presented here draws on the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to help students find the right traditional school for them.
Closest Schools to Harrisonburg, Virginia
The closest schools to Harrisonburg are almost entirely 4-year institutions. Out of the five traditional schools in the area, three of them offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- James Madison University (0.4 miles from downtown)
- Eastern Mennonite University (5.7 miles from downtown)
- Bridgewater College (6.7 miles from downtown)
- Blue Ridge Community College (12.4 miles from downtown)
- Mary Baldwin College (22.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Harrisonburg, Virginia
The largest schools near Harrisonburg are two public institutions, followed by a few private schools. The typical student population for the area is slightly less than 2,000 students.
- James Madison University (21,227 students)
- Blue Ridge Community College (4,192 students)
- Bridgewater College (1,834 students)
- Mary Baldwin College (1,773 students)
- Eastern Mennonite University (1,666 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES determines the net price of U.S. universities by deducting the average amount of financial aid full-time undergraduate students at the main campus of each school receive from the total cost of attendance. The one community college in the area offered the lowest net price from 2014-2015.
- Blue Ridge Community College ($8,087)
- James Madison University ($16,683)
- Mary Baldwin College ($19,152)
- Bridgewater College ($20,058)
- Eastern Mennonite University ($24,144)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES calculates the overall graduation rate for each school. This refers to the percentage of full-time students beginning their undergraduate studies in 2009 and completing their programs within 150% of 'normal time' (for example, six years for a bachelor's degree program). The NCES also provides data on the percentage of students at each school who complete their bachelor's degree programs within four years (100% of 'normal time'). The Harrisonburg area had most graduation rates above 50% for 2015.
- James Madison University (83% graduation rate)
- Eastern Mennonite University (61% graduation rate)
- Bridgewater College (53% graduation rate)
- Mary Baldwin College (37% graduation rate)
- Blue Ridge Community College (35% graduation rate)
The Harrisonburg, VA, area only offers a handful of traditional public and private schools, but these schools do differ in location, size, price, and graduation rates to help students decide the right school for them.