Local students in the Hattiesburg, MS, area searching for the right college only have a few options within the surrounding area. To help students make an informed academic choice, we compare and contrast the traditional institutions with statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Hattiesburg, Mississippi
The schools that are closest to Hattiesburg are 2-year institutions, with only a couple 4-year schools available. These schools are a fairly even mix of private and public institutions. Four out of five of these schools are extremely close to the city, with three located downtown.
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg (located downtown)
- Pearl River Community College-Forrest County Center (located downtown)
- William Carey University (located downtown)
- University of Southern Mississippi (2 miles from downtown)
- Jones County Junior College (20.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Despite the small number of schools near Hattiesburg, there is a wide range of student population sizes. There are only a couple schools in the area that offer graduate degree programs for interested students; the largest school is one of these.
- University of Southern Mississippi (14,551 students)
- Jones County Junior College (4,727 students)
- William Carey University (4,224 students)
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg (184 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates the net price of attending most schools by totaling the expenses full-time undergraduate students had to pay at a college in a single year and then subtracting the average amount of financial aid the college gave out that year to come up with their final approximation. According to the NCES, no school in the Hattiesburg area had a net price of more than $23,000 for the 2014-15 school year.
- Jones County Junior College ($6,291)
- University of Southern Mississippi ($12,055)
- William Carey University ($15,026)
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg ($22,819)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES ranks schools' graduation rate by the number of full-time undergrad students who graduate from their program within 150% of the 'normal' time it should take to be completed. For 2015, most schools in the area had rates of 50% or greater.
- William Carey University (54% graduation rate)
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg (53% graduation rate)
- University of Southern Mississippi (50% graduation rate)
- Jones County Junior College (31% graduation rate)
The Hattiesburg, Mississippi, area only offers a handful of traditional institutions for students, but given the variety in school location, size, price, and graduation rates, there are options to suit many different preferences.