There are a variety of 2-year and 4-year institutions located in Hazleton, Pennsylvania. With information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) concerning distances, student populations, net costs, and graduation rates, you can make an informed school decision.
Closest Schools to Hazleton, Pennsylvania
All the schools closest to Hazleton, Pennsylvania, offer at least an undergraduate degree or certificate. One school is notably located within the city itself, Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Hazleton. However, you have several more options if you intend to study within a 25-mile distance.
- Luzerne County Community College (16.5 miles)
- Wilkes University (20.3 miles)
- King's College (20.5 miles)
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania (24.7 miles)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Wilkes-Barre (24.7 miles)
Largest Schools Near Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, a 4-year public university, had the largest student population near Hazleton, Pennsylvania. In Fall 2014, it enrolled 9,998 students. The majority of those students were undergraduates, numbering 9,319. The next five schools in the area with large student populations were a mixture of public and private not-for-profit colleges and universities.
- Luzerne County Community College (6,049 students; all undergraduates)
- Wilkes University (4,562 students; 2,360 undergraduates)
- King's College (2,308 students; 2,002 undergraduates)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Hazleton (850 students; all undergraduates)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Wilkes-Barre (545 students; 536 undergraduates)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates a school's net price by determining the total cost that full-time, beginning undergraduate students pay to attend the school and then subtracting the average amount of financial aid awarded to those students. The five schools included here were the most affordable in the Hazleton area during the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Luzerne County Community College ($6,642)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Wilkes-Barre ($14,590)
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania ($16,031)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Hazleton ($19,606)
- Wilkes University ($23,372)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES also calculates schools' overall graduation rates. It does so by determining the number of full-time, beginning undergraduate students who complete their programs of study within 150% of the normal amount of time allotted to that program. An example of this amount of time is six years for a bachelor's degree program. Overall graduation rates at the traditional schools near Hazleton ranged from 19% to 66% in 2015.
- King's College (66%)
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania (62%)
- Wilkes University (59%)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Hazleton (54%)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Wilkes-Barre (52%)
When considering your options within Hazleton, Pennsylvania, you might want to look at the data provided by the NCES concerning proximity, student populations, net prices, and graduation rates.