Whether you're looking for a 2-year public college or a private 4-year university, Hempstead, NY, has a number of postsecondary institutions to choose from. Here were compare traditional colleges and universities near Hempstead, NY, by size, cost, graduation rate, and location, with data provided by the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to Hempstead, NY
The closest 5 schools to Hempstead are all central to the city, with the furthest being 5.6 miles away from Hempstead city center. Three of the five are private schools, with the 3rd and 5th closest being public colleges.
- Hofstra University (0.9 miles from downtown)
- Adelphi University (2.0 miles from downtown)
- Nassau Community College (2.0 miles from downtown)
- Molloy College (3.6 miles from downtown)
- SUNY College at Old Westbury (5.6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools near Hempstead, NY
The largest schools near Hempstead range in student population from approximately 8,600 to 22,000. Two of the five largest schools are 2-year colleges, while the others are 4-year institutions.
- Nassau Community College (21,588 students)
- St John's University - New York (20,877 students)
- CUNY Queensborough Community College (15,493 students)
- Hofstra University (10,814 students)
- Farmingdale State College (8,648 students)
Lowest Net Price
Hempstead-area students concerned about the cost of their education may want to look for schools with a low net cost. Net price is calculated by the NCES by deducting the average amount of financial aid students receive from the total cost of attendance for full-time undergraduate students. The 5 schools with the lowest net cost in this area during the 2014-2015 school year were all public schools.
- Nassau Community College ($3,817)
- CUNY York College ($7,202)
- CUNY Queensborough Community College ($7,715)
- Farmingdale State College ($8,346)
- SUNY College at Old Westbury ($10,753)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates are determined by the NCES by calculating the number of full-time students who complete their programs within 150% of the normal time. These five schools had the lowest rate for students who began their studies in Fall of 2009.
- Molloy College (71% graduation rate)
- Adelphi University (67% graduation rate)
- Hofstra University (60% graduation rate)
- St John's University-New York (58% graduation rate)
- LIU Post (49% graduation rate)
In summary, there are both public and private schools offering 2- and 4-year degree programs in a wide variety of fields of study within 10 miles of Hempstead, NY.