Home inspection is usually offered as a certificate program, although graduates often fare better with a 2-year degree in building construction or building inspection and code enforcement. Additionally, since many inspectors are self-employed, students may want to seek out programs that include business courses, such as sales, marketing and communication.
10 Schools with Home Inspection Programs
Some home inspection programs in the United States are offered at the institutions listed here.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)|
|College of Southern Nevada||Las Vegas, NV||4-year, primarily associates, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $2,805; Out-of-state $9,450|
|Mesa Community College||Mesa, AZ||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $2,046; Out-of-state $7,830|
|Edmonds Community College||Lynnwood, WA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $3,758; Out-of-state $9,096|
|Macomb Community College||Warren, MI||2-year, Public||Certificate||In-district $3,169; In-state $4,945; Out-of-state $6,641|
|Portland Community College||Portland, OR||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $3,766; Out-of-state $8,374|
|Cabrillo College||Aptos, CA||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $1,358; Out-of-state $5,698|
|Saint Louis Community College||Saint Louis, MO||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-district $3,090; In-state $4,470; Out-of-state $6,150|
|Broward College||Fort Lauderdale, FL||4-year, primarily associates, Public||Associate's||In-state $2,753; Out-of-state $8,875|
|Manchester Community College||Manchester, NH||2-year, Public||Certification preparation||In-state $200 per credit; Surrounding New England States $300 per credit; Out-of-state $455 per credit|
|Central Piedmont Community College||Charlotte, NC||2-year, Public||Certification preparation||$900|
Sources: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES); school websites
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Building Inspection
- Concrete Finishing
- Construction Mgmt, General
- Construction Site Management
- Drywall Installation
- Electrical and Power Transmission Installers
- Electrical Systems Lineworker
- Facilities Management
- Furniture Making
- Home Equipment and Furnishings Installer
- Home Improvement
- House Painting and Wall Paper
- Metal Building Assembly
- Plumbing Technology
- Property Management and Maintenance
- Well Drilling
School Selection Criteria
Summary of important considerations:
- Home inspectors will often specialize in areas such as radon testing, plumbing, electrical systems, asbestos removal or mold remediation and prospective students may want to find a school that offers training in a preferred specialty.
- Home inspection can be offered as a certificate program or as a much broader 2-year degree program.
- Since many home inspectors are self-employed, they may want to consider a program that includes business courses.
- Certification preparation courses are typically designed for those with broader professional experience in construction and are deciding to sub-specialize within the career.
Job Training Information
Home inspectors need many years of experience in the construction industry before beginning a career in home inspection. Home inspectors receive the majority of their training on the job. They learn about ordinances, building codes, techniques, regulations and other related subjects from more experienced inspectors. They also may perform inspections under the supervision of experienced home inspectors. Continuing education courses may also be a part of their training.
Many states require home inspectors to be licensed or certified. Requirements vary by state but often consist of completing a minimum education level, having a minimum amount of work experience and passing an examination.
A career as a home inspector can be pursued with a certificate or associate's degree from a public college. Those interested in pursuing this career field can opt to take a course to prepare for the certification exam, or can complete a certificate or associate's degree.